Caleb Goldman (referred to simply as Goldman in the games) is the main antagonist of the series. He was the head of the DBR Corporation. He is known as the brains in the zombie-infestations in the 1998 Curien Mansion Case as well as the 2000 Venice Outbreak, where he sought to "revert humanity to its natural state" as a means to "restore the balance of nature". He is also responsible for the events in The House of the Dead 4 and possibly The House of the Dead 3.
The House of the Dead
Goldman hired a scientist named Dr. Roy Curien to assist him in his goal. He also used him as a decoy, to mask who was really responsible. After Rogan and G left the mansion, Goldman came across Curien's dead body and took all his research.
The House of the Dead 2
Two years after the events of the Curien Mansion incident, with the research of Dr. Curien in the hands of Goldman, he unleashes a wave of zombies upon Venice, Italy. Upon hearing of the arrival of the AMS, he leaves a message on Amy's phone, taunting the agents and telling them to come to the coliseum. Amy and Harry follow Goldman's request and they are met at the coliseum by Strength. Strength captures Amy and Harry, leaving the latter severely injured. James and Gary later come to the aid of the two and Goldman appears on a giant screen and taunts them. He claims that in time they will see who is right, and he looks forward to meeting them again.
Afterward, Goldman directs his attention to his master creation, the Emperor. When everything is set in place, Goldman simply waits for the AMS agents to come to him at his headquarters. Once James and Gary arrive, Goldman explains the reasoning for his actions, and uses the "Life Cycle" as a basis for them. After explaining himself, Goldman unleashes the Emperor on James and Gary. James and Gary engage in battle with the Emperor and eventually come out the victor. Upon the Emperor's defeat, Goldman claims that it is not over yet, and in time a successor will come. Following these words, Goldman commits suicide by throwing himself off the top of his headquarters.
The House of the Dead 4
Goldman once again makes an appearance in The House of the Dead 4 as the game's primary antagonist. However, he is mostly shown through flashback scenes in which Goldman reveals his true feelings about humanity. A second outbreak was plotted and carried out by Goldman in 2003, three years after the events of the original infestation, and a third outbreak was successful, as seen in The House of the Dead III.
Throughout the game, Kate and James are often fighting without any knowledge of who is behind the outbreak, that is, until James receives an e-mail from Goldman. The e-mail states that "everything's set", and that Kate and James have only one hour until the nuclear missile launch. The two set course for Goldman's headquarters, and upon entering the building, they are met by the Star. After the battle with the Star, Kate and James make it up to Goldman's office, and they are greeted with another message. In this message, Goldman claims that his goal was not to destroy all humans with nuclear missiles, but to rather revert them to their natural state. He then goes on to state that Pandora's Box has been opened, and there is nothing he can do to stop it. Following this message, The World appears, forcing Kate and James to do battle with it. After the fight, James sacrifices himself in order to prevent Pandora's Box from opening, putting an end to Goldman's plan.
Goldman is known as being a cold and very calculating human being, as well as having extensive knowledge of the Genome theory. He also harbors a fear of what the human race might become due to their self-destructive nature, disruption of nature, and their excessive "breeding".
- In the "bad" ending of The House of the Dead 2, the player will confront a zombified Goldman after leaving his headquarters.
- A Goldman costume, for use in Original Mode, can be acquired in The House of the Dead: 2 & 3 Return.
- Goldman bears a very small resemblence to the main antagonist of the Resident Evil series, Albert Wesker, in terms of appearance, goals, and tone of voice. Also, both had tried to destroy the human race and replace it with a race of superhumans through violent, destructive methods.
- In contrast of the Resident Evil reference, in the "bad" ending of The House of the Dead 4, when Goldman transforms into a zombie, his eyes glow red, which strongly resembles the ones Wesker had when he transformed into a superhuman.
- In the live-action sequel film House of the Dead 2, Goldman was briefly mentioned by one of the commandos who was thinking of selling the first generation blood to "Goldman Pharmaceuticals".
- In one of the endings of The House of the Dead 4, the game cuts back to the computer in Goldman's office. He then claims that the human race has not yet been eliminated, and to "travel North"; he then says that hope is such a splendid thing. If the player does not do well in the game, the camera focuses on Goldman's face, which becomes zombie-like.
- In the Sega and Bizarre Creations game "The Club", the character known as "The Secretary" has an appearance that looks quite similar to Goldman.