Yes!... these are the kinds of breakthrough results that are possible when experiments are carried out scientifically, without undue mushy sentiment for the human test subjects or other ridiculous ethical qualms...Dr. Curien's journal entry[[src]]
They have been produced by multiple parties to orchestrate world-threatening incidents, leading to investigations by the AMS. Varying in appearance, species, abilities, and weaponry, creatures pose an immediate threat to the living.
In 1880, an organization was formed by the ancestors of Dr. Curien, a genetic engineer; Caleb Goldman, the head of a world-famous financial group; and Thornheart, the survivor of a disease and the owner of Scarecrow Manor. Curien, Goldman, and Thornheart would each produce creatures for varying reasons.
In 1998, Curien served as research director of the DBR Corporation. Curien invented the BioReactor system and sought controlling life and death--a goal mainly to cure his son Daniel's terminal illness. Goldman financially backed his project. Curien's obsession and abandonment by his own research team drove him mad.
Believing that mankind posed a threat to nature, Goldman used Curien's research to produce newer, more powerful creatures and slaughter human populations with two more incidents: one on February 26th, 2000, and another 3 years after the AMS responded and Goldman committed suicide. These incidents resulted in the collapse of civilization.
Thornheart sought completing Curien and Goldman's legacy, devising a scheme called "Noah's Ark" using creatures to eradicate mankind. Sometime after Goldman's second incident, Thornheart unleashed more creatures upon guests of Scarecrow Manor. The AMS battled the threat, but Thornheart escaped.
In 2019, AMS agents deduced that the EFI Research Facility -- a mysterious building in a desert wasteland -- was the source of the humanity's downfall. Daniel, who was now cured, revealed that his father was to be transformed into a creature named the Wheel of Fate. While the Wheel of Fate was destroyed, Thornheart took the gene which cured Daniel, hinting at a "true purpose" that Curien did not understand.
Behavior and abilities
Creatures consist not only of humans, but also other organisms like plants and animals; frogs, bats, birds of prey, and insects are often encountered. Humanoid creatures may be agile and wield weapons. They feast on human flesh, but it is unknown if a creature bite will transform living prey, although people killed by creatures have reanimated some time after being attacked.
Lists of creatures
All creatures are named either in game files, print media, or a combination of the two. Kageo, Devilon, Murrer, and Ebitan are so far the only creatures to appear in every main House of the Dead game.
- List of Creatures in The House of the Dead
- List of Creatures in The House of the Dead 2
- List of Creatures in The House of the Dead III
- List of Creatures in The House of the Dead 4 and 4 Special
- List of Creatures in House of the Dead: Scarlet Dawn
The House of the Dead series director Takashi Oda has described the term zombie as "trite", preferring the term creature because the enemies are copied and created. Despite this, some websites and print media erroneously refer to them as "zombies", "monsters", or other terms.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Website of the Dead’s Exclusive Interview with Takashi Oda
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDMurQqwWc4
- ↑ SEGA Interactive R&D#1. (13 September 2018). House of the Dead: Scarlet Dawn. Sega. Level/area: Laboratory. Kate Green: [Explaining a photo of Dr. Curien, Caleb Goldman, and Thornheart to Ryan Taylor] In 1880...the organization their ancestors made was...the beginning of everything.
- ↑ https://oldgamesdownload.com/wp-content/uploads/The_House_of_the_Dead_Manual_Saturn_EN.pdf#page=19
- ↑ The House of the Dead III - First flashback
- ↑ Sega Wow Inc. (17 September 2013). The House of the Dead 2. Arcade, Sega Dreamcast, PC, and Xbox. Sega. Level/area: Darkness. Harry Harris: Well, the 1998 Curien case. Guess who was behind it...It was Goldman. He's the head of one of the most eminant financial group [sic] and an expert on the Genome theory.
- ↑ The House of the Dead III - Second flashback
- ↑ The House of the Dead III - Third flashback
- ↑ The House of the Dead III - Fourth flashback
- ↑ The House of the Dead
- ↑ https://hod.sega.jp/2and3/story/
- ↑ The House of the Dead 2
- ↑ The House of the Dead 4
- ↑ House of the Dead: Scarlet Dawn
- ↑ The House of the Dead III Xbox manual, pg. 38-39