(Sega AM1's universe)
Increasing wars and famines, diseases of unknown
origin, increasingly frequent natural disasters. Don't you find it odd? A bit coincidental? Has anyone even
noticed? Must we simply sit and wait for it all to end?
Despair (絶望, Zetsubō) is the fourth Chapter of The House of the Dead 4.
Caleb Goldman, in his office, notes the increasing frequencies of wars, diseases, and natural disasters, before wondering if humans must "simply sit and wait for [the world] to end" (read the exact quote above).
Back in the present, AMS agents James Taylor and Kate Green continue their journey on foot after their battle with The Empress on the train in the previous Chapter. Kate wonder "where'd everyone go", which James respond with hope that "they all managed to evacuate". Kate then asked James if he thinks "there's still hope" at all. James then firmly said yes, further mentioning that "there's no turning back now". They soon emerge at an underground shopping district, where they would fight through hordes of creatures to finally emerge to the surface of a city.
Suddenly, they are waylaid by Temperance, an obese giant who was able to absorb their attacks. The agents retreat to a clock tower and climb to the top floor, in the process killing more creatures. Temperance tried to attack them for the final time, but they use a lever to drop a giant clock on the monster's head, defeating it.
After being certain that Temperance is defeated, James and Kate then climb up to the roof of the clock tower, where James said enable them to "see the city". However, to their shock, they find the city now in ruins, leaving them with the possibility that they are the last two humans alive in the city and maybe in the entire Earth.
As soon as James broke the door enabling the agents to enter an underground shopping district, they are greeted by four Jimmys, although they interestingly didn't have any axes on their hands. After they are killed, Kate will remarks that she "used to come [there] often", before a door to the right of the agents opened, revealing several Kageos, Labans, and Jimmys inside. The player(s) should prioritize the Kageos first, as they can swing its hand to the player(s) instantly upon opening the door. After killing them, the agents will tried to move forward, but are stunned when a Constantin throws a mannequin in front of them. Behind it is also another two (if single player)/three (if two players) Constantins, which will pursue a fight. The player(s) will come across a slightly open door, which the player(s) could close by turning the handle to the right side of the player(s), though this is optional. If the player(s) didn't close the door, a Constantin will drag the door up, revealing a horde of creatures inside, before facing a Guavain that breaks a glass ceiling above the agents; if the player(s) close the door, the player(s) just need to face the mentioned Guavain. The agents then will walk to their right, where a Constantin is seen holding a door. The player(s) could shoot down that Constantin to prevent it from closing the door or let it alive, as it won't attack the player(s), but will close down the door in few seconds. After all the creatures killed, depends on the action done by the player(s) regarding the Constantine, two different mini-paths will occurred.
If the player(s) choose to keep the Constantin alive, the door will shut and the player(s) will go inside the boutique on right side of the player(s) once all the spilled creatures killed. Here, the player(s) will be greeted by several Constantins and Jimmys that burst through a broken shelf. The agents will move towards a door, but behind them, three Labans crawling out of a shelf. After killing them, upon looking to the door, a Constantin will tried to reach the agents. The player(s) can choose to let the creatures in the room coming out or simply shake the gun to close the door, trapping all the creatures inside. If the door is opened, the players must kill a group of creatures coming from that room, before turning around; if the door is closed, the player(s) will simply turning around. Behind the player(s), two glass windows will break, spilling out the creatures towards the player(s). The player(s) then turned towards a staircase, where two Guavains will fly towards the player(s). Kill them to let the agents climb up the staircase.
If the player(s) choose to kill the Constantin, the door remains open and the player(s) will go inside the coffee shop in front of the player(s) once all the spilled creatures killed. Here, the player(s) will be greeted by several creatures from two doorways in front and to the left of the player(s). If when going inside, the player(s) manage to shoot a key located at the lowest level on a shelf that first seen on the left side of the player(s) upon entering, the player(s) could unlock a bonus area filled with point-boosting items. However, before the player(s) can access it, three Kageo Js will crawl out from under the table. Kill them to give the player(s) access to the bonus area, which is located on the left doorway where the creatures coming out prior. Kate will remarks that she "used to love [the] shop", before two Jimmys coming out from behind a table bar, ready to throw its axes towards the player(s). Two glass windows will break, spilling out the creatures towards the player(s). Kate will remarks that the day "has got to be the worst day ever" in her life, before several Jimmys, Kageos, and Labans are coming towards from the right side of the player(s). After dealing with them, the player(s) then turned towards a staircase, where two Guavains will fly towards the player(s). Kill them to let the agents climb up the staircase.
Both mini-paths leads to the same staircase, which will prompts a cutscene, where James will wondering about the city on the way up. Kate tell James that "it's impossible to tell from here", but the agents find their answers almost immediately, as the city looked to be overrun by hordes of creatures, which will prompts James to shout that "[the creatures] have found [them]". Several Labans will drops in front of the player(s). After killing them, to the right side of the player(s) is a horde of Constantins, Jimmys, and Labans, who will attack the player(s). After a short walk, four Guavains are flying up in the air, ready to attack the player(s). A moment of peace occurs, but only lasts seconds as the agents feels that the ground is shaking vigorously. It is revealed that the source of that is from the stomps of Temperance, an obese giant who walks on the city. The fight with him will then begin.
- Main article: Temperance#Gameplay
James' PDA will inform the player(s) that his Weak Point is his Nose. Temperance will then make three stomps, before jumping above the agents to crush them below him. He will repeat this attack once more in the second phase and the only way to avoid damage on both occasions is surviving prior to him jumping or him landing to the ground. The agents will tried to move away from Temperance, but he then roll forward towards them. The player(s) must stop him before he finish his rolls. Temperance, noticing that his nose is exposed easier when he roll forward, will then roll backward for his attack in the fourth phase. After surviving this phase, Temperance once again rose to his feet. James will shout in anger, noticing that the attacks done by the agents is useless, as "it's absorbing [their bullets]". Kate, however, looks above her to point out a clock at the top of the clock tower, which could be used to crush Temperance. The agents then proceed to move inside the clock tower to do so.
Several Labans, Jimmys, and Constantins are waiting by the entrance. After killing them, a handful of Jimmys and Labans will come out from their hiding place behind a staircase and pursue the player(s). When the agents reach the top of the staircase, Temperance will shows up twice, both trying to punch the player(s) through an open window. Survive both of his attacks to move towards another set of staircase. A horde of creatures awaits the player(s) at the top floor and the player(s) must kill them. Two Guavains will came through the window after that, before the agents move towards a lever that was connected to the clock. The player(s) have to shake the gun to finish a Quick Time Event. If the player(s) can't finish the Quick Time Event in time, Temperance will punch the player(s) and this will repeat until the Quick Time Event is finished. Doing so will make a lever connected to the clock successfully pulled, which will drop the clock to the head of Temperance. Temperance will then kneel down, before dropping to his stomach, confirming his death. James will shout to Temperance to "temper [that]" or Kate will sarcastically remarks her "low fat, all lead diet" body towards Temperance's corpse.
Bonus Items and Area(s)
- Main article: Bonus_items#The_House_of_the_Dead_4_and_Special
There are bonus items and area(s) scattered across the Chapter:
- Bonus Items:
- To the right side of the door where the horde of Kageos, Labans, and Jimmys appeared is a shield, which contains a Golden Frog.
- There are two red boxes below the three/four Constantins. One of them contains a Bronze Coin.
- If the player(s) goes inside the boutique:
- There are two red boxes behind the group of Constantins and Jimmys. One of them contains a Grenade.
- If the player(s) goes inside the coffee shop:
- There are two red boxes and a shield on the floor at the back of the area. One of them will contains a Grenade.
- Upon entering the coffee shop, there are two red boxes on a shelf placed in front of the player(s). One of them will contains a Med Kit. However, some found it on the shelf located to the right side of the glass windows.
- On the top of the rubble when facing the horde of Labans is a crate, which contains a Golden Magician.
- There are two green barrels placed on the ground to the left side of the player(s) when facing the horde of Constantins, Jimmys, and Labans. One of them will contains a Toy School Bus.
- After surviving Temperance's first phase, when the agents turned around, there are two green barrels to the left side of the player(s). One of them will contains a Top Hat.
- After surviving Temperance's second phase, when the agents turned around, there is a green barrel and a crate to the left side of the player(s). One of them will contains a Silver Coin.
- A crate and two green barrels are placed to the left and right sides of the staircase (the placement, however, is random) that will take the player(s) to the top floor. One of them will contains a Golden Bell.
- There is a crate placed near the wall of the top floor in front of the player(s). One of them will contains a Gold Coin.
- Bonus Area(s):
- This can only be accessed if the player(s) kill the Constantin holding the door and take the mini-path to the coffee shop. Upon entering a room, there is a shelf placed in front of the player(s). On the lowest level to the left of the shelf is a silver key, which if shot correctly, will prompts a shining gold light. After clearing the creatures inside the room but before facing two Jimmys from the table bar, the player(s) will be directed to the doorway to the left side of the player(s), which contains a Gold Coin, a Silver Coin, a Bronze Coin, and a Grenade.
- In the underground shopping district, the storefronts have Easter eggs that are not easily seen during gameplay:
- The boutique that the agente entered (dependent) is named "Zombie Boutique!" and has pictures of two creatures. This contradicts The House of the Dead series Director Takashi Oda's claim that the word "zombie" is never used in the series, though his awareness and opinion of the Easter egg remains unknown. The boutique's year of opening, 2005, is accompanied by a question mark. This is either a logical error as The House of the Dead 4 take place near the end of 2003 or the store was actually going to be named as such comes 2005. Both assumptions were however unconfirmed.
- The coffee shop that the agents entered (dependent) is named "Fat House", with captions welcoming obese customers accompanied by silhouettes of the obese creature Charles and the stage's Boss Temperance.
- The third storefront advertises "Omo's Gym". This is appears to be a reference to The House of the Dead 4 Designer Norihito Omoda, whose likeness is featured on the sign.