(Main series and Spin-offs)
Dr. Curien (キュリアン博士, Kyurian-hakase) was a genetic engineer and the former research director of the DBR Corporation. He is the main antagonist of The House of the Dead and its 2021 remake, and the resurrected final boss of The House of the Dead III.
The esteemed inventor of the BioReactor, Curien was obsessed with scientifically controlling life and death to cure his terminally-ill son Daniel. Curien's research produced hostile creatures and two genes, Magician and Wheel of Fate, to "change the future". He was abandoned by DBR personnel and went insane.
At his mansion in 1998, Curien tried weaponizing the creatures to destroy humanity. He was killed by Magician and resurrected as Wheel of Fate 21 years later in the EFI Research Facility, where a now-cured Daniel and other survivors defeated him.
- 1 Biography
- 2 Personality
- 3 Quotes
- 4 Development
- 5 Trivia
- 6 Gallery
- 6.1 The House of the Dead
- 6.2 The House of the Dead 2
- 6.3 The House of the Dead III
- 6.4 Data
- 6.5 House of the Dead: Scarlet Dawn
- 6.6 Other media
- 7 Sources
Dr. Curien was born on June 11, 1947. Hailing from a noble family, he lived with his son Daniel in a medieval-era mansion. He was involved with an organization that was established in 1880 by his ancestors, alongside those of financial group affiliate Caleb Goldman and a mysterious man named Thornheart.
Early life and research
For an unknown period of time, Curien served as research director of the DBR Corporation, inventing the BioReactor. His aggressive leadership was praised among staff, including Sophie Richards, the then fiancée of AMS agent Thomas Rogan. Curien and Rogan had met several times.
When Daniel contracted a terminal illness, Curien was willing to go to extreme measures in order to save his life. His research became focused on removing the barrier between life and death. Goldman provided funding.
Curien's BioReactor project was conducted secretively in Curien's mansion, involving the weapons potential of artificially-generated and sustained lifeforms. Several researchers abandoned Curien over ethical concerns.
Among Curien's results were three genes - one which cured Daniel, and two more named Magician and Wheel of Fate. The former could be controlled by Curien at will, but an unknown individual changed its programming. By this point, however, Curien had gone insane; he sought to destroy humanity and civilization.
1998 Curien Mansion incident
- Main article: The House of the Dead (1996 video game)
On October 17, 1998, several DBR personnel were reported missing at the Curien Mansion; because of government involvement, these news were not made public. Two months later, on December 18, contact was lost with a special operatives team who investigated the mansion.
On December 20, the AMS sent Rogan and his partner G to investigate the disappearances and a panicked phone message left by Sophie. They arrived at the mansion to find it overrun by Curien's creatures, which he had deliberately released to slaughter DBR researchers. The agents battled the creatures and eventually confronted Curien in his underground laboratory. Boasting that he would never be defeated, Curien activated his "masterpiece", Magician. However, Magician refused to obey his orders and killed him, before being destroyed by the agents.
- Main article: The House of the Dead III
Sometime after his death, Curien was brought to the EFI Research Facility. He underwent a nineteen-year resurrection process to be reborn as Wheel of Fate. By 2019, civilization had collapsed following Goldman and Thornheart's incidents. A now-cured Daniel watched his father's transformation during his residency in the facility. Disgusted by his father's crimes, Daniel teamed with the retired AMS agents investigating the facility to stop Wheel of Fate.
Wheel of Fate, awakened prematurely after Daniel hacked its program, addressed itself as Curien and vowed to "destroy and resurrect everything"; upon defeat, he pleaded forgiveness. Daniel, refusing to recognize the being as his father, opening fire alongside Thomas Rogan's daughter Lisa and destroyed him.
At first, Curien was a dedicated father who desperately wanted to save his son's life, even if it required venturing into "forbidden territory". His discovery of the genes that would change the future of humankind, along with staff walkouts, transformed him into a homicidal sociopath. He was concerned only with mankind's destruction and Magician's completion. Curien treated Rogan and G's struggles as if they were nothing more than a game, and was boastful that he could never be defeated.
When restored as Wheel of Fate, Curien vowed to destroy and resurrect humanity. Upon defeat, he pleaded to Daniel that he needed him; Daniel destroyed the creature, proclaiming that the creature is not his father.
In The House of the Dead III's Time Attack mode, Curien encourages the player to do better and compliments them on their performance, but expresses sympathy for his dead creatures.
The House of the Dead
|"I must compliment you... I didn't think you could make it this far. However, this is it! Let's see how good you really are!"|
|"I must admit, I really respect your consistency. But you will never, ever defeat me! Say hello to my masterpiece!"|
|"[Falls on the ground] What happened? Why won't you follow my instructions? [Dies]"|
Dr. Curien was conceived as a character named Mr. Happy, who was scrapped because he resembled the titular character from the 1993 science fiction horror film The Invisible Man. Sega AM1 settled on a more "humane" appearance that changed little in development. Curien was named differently at first; The House of the Dead game designer Hiroyuki Taguchi has referred to this iteration as "Dr. A" because he does not know how to spell the original name.
- A version of the character named Professor Roy Curien appears in the second loose film adaptation of the series, House of the Dead 2. He was portrayed by the late Sid Haig. Unlike the games, Curien's son is named Rudy.
- A common misconception is that Dr. Curien and Professor Roy Curien share the same first name. This is false, as Dr. Curien's first name has never appeared in games and official print media. However, many online sources still erroneously use the "Roy" first name.
- Dr. Curien appears as the main antagonist in Loving Deads: The House of the Dead EX with a slightly different appearance. He commands his creatures to imprison Zobiko in the dungeon.
- Curien has heterochromia, as shown in the intro behind his glasses.
- Although he is stated as "American" in manuals, his genealogy bearing "noble blood" and his notable accent indicates that he is British.
- Brian Connor, Dr. Curien's voice actor in The House of the Dead: Remake, is the lead singer of the band Villa*Nova (formerly known as Weaving the Fate).
The House of the Dead
The House of the Dead 2
The House of the Dead III
House of the Dead: Scarlet Dawn
- Excerpt from The House of the Dead Dennou Shinan: Dr. Curien no Houkoku Sho, p.158:
"小田：あれも当初は天使みたいに羽根の生え た完全体のマジシャンが登場して、プレイヤ ーは絶対に勝てないんですよ。そこにキュリ アンが登場して「私の考えは間違っていた」 と言っ てマジシャンに抱きついて自爆するは ずだった。"
- Natalie Roers [@NatalieRoers] (April 15, 2021). Natalie Roers on Twitter: "@wiki_dead @ChrisOCowUh @KoriMaru His name is Brian Conner. He is lead singer of the band Villa*Nova, formerly know as Weaving the Fate. " / Twitter" (English). Twitter. Retrieved on April 15, 2021.
Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; name "remakeVA" defined multiple times with different content
- The House of the Dead Sega Saturn manual, pg 17
- SEGA Interactive R&D#1. (13 September 2018). House of the Dead: Scarlet Dawn. Sega. Level/area: Laboratory. Kate Green: [Explaining a photo of Dr. Curien, Caleb Goldman, and Thornheart to Ryan Taylor] In 1880...the organization their ancestors made was...the beginning of everything.
- The House of the Dead Sega Saturn manual, pg 14
- Sega Wow Inc. (17 September 2013). The House of the Dead III. Arcade, Xbox, PC, and Playstation 3. Sega. Level/area: Chasing Shadows. Dr. Curien: My dear Daniel...I'll never give up, no matter what the doctors say. I'll gladly step into forbidden territory, if it will save your life.
- Sega Wow Inc. (17 September 2013). The House of the Dead III. Arcade, Xbox, PC, and Playstation 3. Sega. Level/area: Bewilderment. Dr. Curien: Look, Daniel...It's the key! This will remove the barrier between life and death. You don't need to fear anything anymore, Daniel... not even death!
- Sega Wow Inc. (17 September 2013). The House of the Dead 2. Arcade, Sega Dreamcast, PC, and Xbox. Sega. Level/area: Darkness. Harry Harris: Well, the 1998 Curien case. Guess who was behind it...It was Goldman. He's the head of one of the most eminant financial group [sic] and an expert on the Genome theory.
- The House of the Dead Sega Saturn manual, pg 2
- The House of the Dead Sega Saturn manual, pg 16
- Sega Wow Inc. (17 September 2013). The House of the Dead III. Arcade, Xbox, PC, and Playstation 3. Sega. Level/area: Sensory Chaos. Dr. Curien: Daniel...Have I stepped outside the bounds of human morality? Most of my researchers have left me...
- Sega Wow Inc. (17 September 2013). The House of the Dead III. Arcade, Xbox, PC, and Playstation 3. Sega. Level/area: Ultimate Challenge. Dr. Curien: I've found it, Daniel! These genes will change the future..."The Magician", and "The Wheel of Fate"...[laughs maniacally]
- Kori (May 22, 2020). "The House of the Dead: Sub Story". The Website of the Dead. Archived from the original on March 22, 2020. “In addition, it was a creature called Type 00 “Magician” that became the first creature to stand above the unfinished organisms. Dr. Curien made it possible to command the “Magician” at his own discretion, but it seems that the program was secretly changed by a mysterious man.”
- The House of the Dead 2 Sega Dreamcast manual, pg 3
- The House of the Dead III Xbox manual, pg 8
- The House of the Dead Sega Saturn manual, pg 2-3
- The House of the Dead Sega Saturn manual, pg 3
- The House of the Dead
- The House of the Dead 2
- The House of the Dead 4
- House of the Dead: Scarlet Dawn
- Kori (September 7, 2012). "Development of The House of the Dead Part 1: Characters". The Website of the Dead. Archived from the original on April 19, 2020. “[Mr. Happy was] Dr. Curien’s scrapped character. There is a memory that I was tossed [</nowiki>sic] because it has been seen as invisible man. I don’t know why the name is happy.<nowiki>[Dr. Curien's] image has not changed much. The first setting [sic] was a person who had the most humane feeling. I did not know the spelling of the name, and I have written the name and [sic] DR.A.”
- The House of the Dead Dennou Shinan: Dr. Curien no Houkoku Sho, pg. 158
- The House of the Dead III