(Takashi Oda's universe)
This place was my whole life.Daniel Curien[src]
The EFI Research Facility is a privately-owned building that houses bio laboratories, a secure database, and a DBR Corporation-affiliated institute. It was involved with human genome experimentation. In 2019, it was investigated for possible ties to an apocalypse wrought by prior incidents using hostile biologically-engineered creatures.
The building is the main setting of The House of the Dead III.
Allegedly backed by a figure close to a financial conglomerate, the EFI Research Facility conducted extensive research on the human genome. This included: the "catalogization of human genome"; "proof of biological determinism"; "intervention in DNA somatic cells"; the "acquired system of acquired RNA"; the gap between life and death; and gene transplantation.
Involvement with the Curien family
Sometime around the late 1990s, then DBR Corporation research director Dr. Curien led a human genome-based project. Although initially meant to cure his terminally-ill son Daniel, the project later focused on controlling life and death. He produced genes that cured Daniel, along with other mutations named Magician and Wheel of Fate. His projects eventually drove him to the brink of insanity.
On December 18, 1998, Curien released his macabre test subjects in his mansion. Thomas Rogan and G, agents of the American government organization AMS, dispatched the threat. The mad Doctor eventually unleashed Magician upon the agents, but the mutant, displaying self-awareness, instead killed Curien and attempted to destroy the agents. They eventually defeated him.
Curien's body and Daniel were brought to the EFI Research Facility. Daniel spent 19 years of his life watching his father's transformation as Wheel of Fate.
Similar worldwide incidents occurred in the years following the Curien Mansion incident. By 2019, society had collapsed and the AMS was disbanded. In October 17, a now-retired Rogan led a team of military commandos into the EFI Research Facility, believing it to be the source of humanity's downfall. He was injured and most of his men died during the mission, but Daniel rescued him.
Two weeks later, Rogan's daughter Lisa and G raided the facility to find Rogan. They battled numerous creatures, including Death in the Information Systems Department; the Sun in the BIO Lab; and the Fool in the DBR Institute. They found Rogan, who revealed that Daniel was his savior. Lisa and Daniel teamed up to destroy Wheel of Fate.
Nevertheless, despite shutting down the outbreak's source, an associate of Curien and Goldman named Thornheart managed to retrieve the remains of a cure for Daniel's illness, musing that the sample serves more than one purpose.
The entrance was previously rich in greenery and color, and could be reached via car. There is an underground parking garage. Lisa and G were pursued through this area by Death, a behemoth dressed as a security guard, when they entered the premises.
This area of the facility focused on plant-based experiments, including blending plant seeds and genetically producing plant-animal hybrids; the most notable is the Sun, a massive tree-like organism which Lisa and G encountered. There is a large atrium in the center of the lab.
Information Systems Department
This database stores research results and external information, and was protected by a security system that now only partially works.
The institute focused on ecology-based experiments. It is only accessable via elevator, which was used in the case of experiment-related emergencies Fool, a sloth-like creature, resides in a giant metal cage and feeds on human corpses.
Level 4 Lab
Located in the deepest part of the building, the Level 4 Lab was where genetic experiments took place and has many large test tubes for the resulting creatures produced This is where Wheel of Fate underwent growth, and Thomas Rogan stayed after being rescued by Daniel Curien.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 "The House of the Dead III" Xbox manual, pg. 8
- ↑ "The House of the Dead III Story" (Japanese) (2002). Archived from the original on March 28, 2020. “世界有数の財閥関係者が出資しているといわれている私設の研究施設。主な活動内容の大部分は謎に包まれている。 一部公開されている内容を見ると、「ヒトゲノムのカタログ化」「生物決定論の証明」「ＤＮＡ体細胞への介入」「後天的ＲＮＡの存在システム」など、遺伝子に関する未知の分野に介入しているものが多い。”
- ↑ Sega Wow Inc. (17 September 2013). The House of the Dead III. Arcade, Xbox, PC, and Playstation 3. Sega. Level/area: Wheel of Fate. Daniel Curien: [The Wheel of Fate] is the last thing my father left behind... I've spent the last 19 years watching this evil grow.
- ↑ The House of the Dead 2
- ↑ The House of the Dead 4
- ↑ The House of the Dead 4: Special
- ↑ House of the Dead: Scarlet Dawn
- ↑ The House of the Dead III Xbox manual, pg 10
- ↑ Sega Wow Inc. (17 September 2013). The House of the Dead III. Arcade, Xbox, PC, and Playstation 3. Sega. Level/area: Chasing Shadows. G: It's been two weeks since we lost contact with Rogan...We can't wait any longer!
- ↑ "The House of the Dead III Story" (Japanese) (2002). Archived from the original on March 28, 2020. “EFI研究施設ビル入り口 現在は荒廃して見る影もないが、以前は緑や水が豊富な共有スペースであったことが、噴水や枯れた木などから想像される。 また入り口までは車などでアプローチできるような造りとなっているが、 現在の敷地内の状況では、車も進めないほど廃墟化が進み、地面の割れ具合や建物の老朽化を見る限り、人が通るにもかなり危険な状態になっている。”