(Main series and Spin-offs)
Type B-3, named Ebitan (エビタン, Ebitan), is a male humanoid creature that is distinguished by his slime-covered body and marshy habitats. He is a recurring enemy throughout the main House of the Dead series.
Produced through human genome experimentation, Ebitan was used by various parties to help carry out humanity-threatening incidents worldwide, beginning with Dr. Curien in 1998.
Three iterations of Ebitan exist: an unnamed second full-bodied version; Type B-4, or; Ebitan b (エビタンb, Ebitan b), a half-bodied variant; Koebitan (コエビタン, Koebitan), a miniature version; and Smoker (スモーカー, Sumōkā), a full-bodied version covered in purple sludge. These variants often have different behavioral traits and methods of attack.
Ebitan has also made cameo appearances in House of the Dead spin-offs and other related games.
- 1 History
- 2 Appearance
- 3 History
- 4 Other appearances
- 5 Trivia
- 6 Gallery
- 6.1 The House of the Dead
- 6.2 The House of the Dead 2
- 6.3 The House of the Dead III
- 6.4 Screenshots
- 6.5 The House of the Dead 4 & 4 Special
- 6.6 House of the Dead: Scarlet Dawn
- 6.7 SEGA Heroes
- 7 References
Ebitan was an accidental result of genetic engineer and DBR Corporation research director Dr. Curien's macabre experiments to control life and death. Curien went mad because of his research; on December 18, 1998, he released Ebitan and other creatures in his mansion to slaughter Curien's research staff. The AMS government agency intervened to stop the incident.
The creature was reused for further incidents orchestrated by Curien's financier Caleb Goldman, and DBR member Thornheart. Ebitans were also found in the EFI Research Facility after these incidents led to the collapse of society.
Ebitan is described as "perpetually rotting", with a primary bite attack and low resilience. The creature prefers the water; Curien claimed that he "couldn't keep [Ebitan] out of the swimming pool". Ebitan often lurches from water to ambush prey. His body is sometimes covered in green moss.
Ebitan first appears in the Curien Mansion in the original House of the Dead. As stated in the Sega Saturn manual, Ebitan was seemingly created by accident one day when Curien was "puttering in the lab, seeing what he could come up with". Ebitan prefers to reside in wet places, especially in bodies of water like pools, lakes, and gutters.
Ebitan comes in three variants:
- Type B-3: A plain whole-bodied version that either jumps out of murky water or charges at players
- Type B-4: A half-body counterpart equipped with a jagged sword. It can cling on walls and occasionally, vomits a ball of harmful slime.
- Unnamed third variant: Another plain whole-bodied variant that is the same as the first except having irises matching his body, black sclerae, exposed right arm, leg muscles and ribcage. Only appears in the Curien Mansion's underground waterway.
Ebitan appears again, having been recreated in numbers by Caleb Goldman to raid a large, unnamed city. He still prefers to reside in wet areas, leaping out of the water to attack his prey. He comes in three variants in different colors: a green regular one, a black one with better resilience, and a brown one that jumps at you out of the water without warning.
In the EFI Research Facility and its DBR Research Institute, Ebitan resides in bio lab tanks and water-filled pools. A shorter version of him, Ko Ebitan, also appears.
Ebitan returns in this game, continuing to reside in wet areas. Similar to the fourth game, they come in packs and will rarely throw harmful sludge. They attack along with their similar counterpart, the Smoker.
- Ebitan is both a playable character (along with Thomas Rogan, G, and Dr. Curien) and a boss in the mobile game SEGA Heroes, which features characters from various Sega video game properties including The House of the Dead.
- Ebitan appears as an enemy in Sega Golden Gun, a 2010 House of the Dead-like rail shooter by Sega. He retains his appearance from The House of the Dead 4, as many assets are recycled from that game.
- The English version of The House of the Dead's Sega Saturn manual incorrectly names the creature "Evitan".
- The determined color of an Ebitan is derived from the environment it is produced in. Lighter colored Ebitans are found in cleaner, more sterilized areas (green Ebitan) while darker Ebitans are normally found in ones that are polluted and saturated with filth (black Ebitan).
- While Ebitan A appears in multiple games, Ebitan B and C are exclusive to the first House of the Dead.