(Takashi Oda's universe)
Have you ever thought about the future? What will happen to the world if humans continue to breed? Don't you see? Humans have set themselves upon the path to inevitable destruction.Caleb Goldman[src]
Emptiness is the third chapter of The House of the Dead 4.
Caleb Goldman sits in his office, musing about the future of humanity.
After their battle with the Lovers, AMS agent James Taylor and his partner Kate Green are forced to abandon the broken construction elevator and find another way to the surface. They enter the abandoned subway system and, after fighting more hordes of creatures, reach an operable train. However, they are ambushed and chased by the Empress, a chainsaw-wielding humanoid.
The agents fight and kill Empress, who falls outside and is hit by a passing train. Kate notices a large pile of rubble in the train's path; the agents jump to safety. As they walk off, James complains that they're "getting nowhere real fast".
Upon starting, two Kevins and several Kageos will attack. You will automatically climb up a ladder and see two dumpsters. Several Murrers will crawl out from below, and several Ebitans will appear from the dumpsters. As you proceed up the staircases, three more Ebitans will crawl onto the platform while a Kevin and Jimmy will appear from the side. Behind you, several Kageos break a poster and attack you. As you look up the staircases, two Kevins will attempt to throw rock fragments at you before pulling back. As you go up, the pair will attempt to fight you. Afterwards, three Victors will drop down from a platform above; kill them quickly. Avoid hitting their knives as they reflect your shots and deals no damage to them.
After a cutscene, several creatures will appear from an escalator. Once cleared, James wonders what path to take. As they look at a door, a Kageo torso bursts out from it and will drag you.
- If you don't get out of its drag, the torso will move backwards and can be killed normally. A bell can be shot at for several points, and a large group of regular Kageo are standing idly before attacking. Once they are are cleared, two creatures burst out of a lavatory; the one sitting on the toilet will wait for the first one to be killed before doing anything. As you leave the room, two Jimmys will attempt to throw axes at you; shoot them down quickly before they can throw them or just shoot the axes. Kate will tell James to watch his back, where two Victors will attempt to attack you. After proceeding further, you'll see a Kevin carrying a rock fragment; kill him quickly before he throws it. Several Kageos and Kageo torsos will attempt to attack you also; the normal ones should be prioritized over the torsos first. You will walk up some staircases where two Kevins will attempt to throw barrels at you; destroy the barrels and it is optional to kill the two Kevins , as they will flee after throwing them. Two more Kevins and a Jimmy with axes will be waiting when you get up; shoot them down. A horde of Devilons will appear at the next staircase. When you get up the staircase, a Kevin with a weapon will attempt to attack you. Afterwards, a door opens releasing a large amount of Kageos; it's recommended to throw a grenade to clear them out. If you shot the control panel, you will find a secret area with several point boosting items. You will then appear at the subway station.
- If you break free of its drag, the torso will move backwards and can be killed normally. A group of Kageos can be seen and shot at, but do not react at the player. You will back away to the escalator where another large group of creatures are waiting for you before you take the escalator. Watch the other escalator quickly as a Jimmy will pop up and throw axes at you. Afterwards, creatures will be waiting for you on both sides. The one waiting for you will be dealt with first and contains various creatures. Afterwards, a Kevin and several axe-wielding Jimmys from the group behind you will catch up; mow them down quickly. Afterwards, two Victors will appear and should be killed quickly; you'll appear at the subway station after they're dead.
At the station, you have two paths to pick; choose one.
- Left path: You will avoid the group of creatures at the right path, but a smaller group consisting of Ebitans, Kageos and a Jimmy will be fought on this path. After they are dealt with, a group of Devilons wait at the next car. After that car, a small group of Murrers are crawling about on the floor. After leaving the second car, a small group of creatures including a Kevin with a rock fragment wait for you. After they are all killed you will head into the tunnel.
- Right path: If the right path is taken, you will face a horde of creatures , dealt with in three separate battles. In between the second and third battle will be an interruption of three Ebitans. After the large group has been disposed of, three Jimmys will attempt to throw axes at you. Shoot a box to get a bonus life before you will face a swarm of Devilons at the tunnel.
Regardless of your decision, you will eventually end up at a tunnel, where four Kageo torsos will appear from the vents. After the torsos, two Victors moving erratically will appear from the station before the train arrives. A train will arrive, releasing its cargo of creatures. After they are all dead, you will enter the train, where the Empress attacks.
- Main article: The Empress#Gameplay