" "Have you ever thought about the future? what will happen to the world if humans continue to breed? Don't you see? Humans have set themselves upon the path to inevitable destruction"
- Caleb GoldmanEmptiness is Chapter 3 of The House of the Dead 4.
After their battle with the Lovers, James says that they can't get up with the lift anymore because they wrecked it. Kate says that they may be able to get out through a path that is fortunately near them. They go through a hole and find themselves in a subway system, which will take them to the surface. Unfortunately, more zombies are waiting for them. Despite this, they fight their way through the hordes and reach an operable train, hoping for suvivors but instead find more zombies in it. As they board the train as they have no other choice, the Empress attacks them. Through skill and pure luck, they manage to defeat it. The Empress collapses and falls off the train, only to be hit by another train going the other way. James and Kate quickly jump off the train too after Kate notices a large pile of rubble in the train's path. James complains that they're getting nowhere real fast.
Upon starting, two Bens and several Kageos will attack. You will automatically climb up a ladder and see two dumpsters. Several Murrers will crawl out from below, and several Ebitans will appear from the dumpsters. As you proceed up the staircases, three more Ebitans will crawl onto the platform while a Ben and Shane will appear from the side. Behind you, several Kageos break a poster and attack you. As you look up the staircases, two Bens will attempt to throw rock fragments at you before pulling back. As you go up, the pair will attempt to fight you. Afterwards, three Nelsons will drop down from a platform above; kill them quickly. Avoid hitting their knives as they reflect your shots and deals no damage to them.
After a cutscene, several zombies will appear from an escalator. Once cleared, James wonders what path to take. As they look at a door, a Kageo torso bursts out from it and will drag you.
- If you don't get out of its drag, the torso will move backwards and can be killed normally. A bell can be shot at for several points, and a large group of regular Kageo are standing idly before attacking. Once they are are cleared, two zombies burst out of a lavatory; the one sitting on the toilet will wait for the first one to be killed before doing anything. As you leave the room, two Shanes will attempt to throw axes at you; shoot them down quickly before they can throw them or just shoot the axes. Kate will tell James to watch his back, where two Nelsons will attempt to attack you. After proceeding further, you'll see a Ben carrying a rock fragment; kill him quickly before he throws it. Several Kageos and Kageo torsos will attempt to attack you also; the normal ones should be prioritized over the torsos first. You will walk up some staircases where two Bens will attempt to throw barrels at you; destroy the barrels and it is optional to kill the two Bens, as they will flee after throwing them. Two more Bens and a Shane with axes will be waiting when you get up; shoot them down. A horde of bats will appear at the next staircase. When you get up the staircase, a Ben with a weapon will attempt to attack you. Afterwards, a door opens releasing a large amount of Kageos; it's recommended to throw a grenade to clear them out. If you shot the control panel, you will find a secret area with several point boosting items. You will then appear at the subway station.
- If you break free of its drag, the torso will move backwards and can be killed normally. A group of Kageo can be seen and shot at, but do not react at the player. You will back away to the escalator where another large group of zombies are waiting for you before you take the escalator. Watch the other escalator quickly as a Shane will pop up and throw axes at you. Afterwards, zombies will be waiting for you on both sides. The one waiting for you will be dealt with first and contains various zombies. Afterwards, a Ben and several axe-wielding Shanes from the group behind you will catch up; mow them down quickly. Afterwards, two Nelsons will appear and should be killed quickly; you'll appear at the subway station after they're dead.
At the station, you have two paths to pick; choose one.
- Left path: You will avoid the group of zombies at the right path, but a smaller group consisting of Ebitans, Kageos and a Shane will be fought on this path. After they are dealt with, a group of bats wait at the next car. After that car, a small group of Murrers are crawling about on the floor. After leaving the second car, a small group of zombies including a Ben with a rock fragment wait for you. After they are all killed you will head into the tunnel.
- Right path: If the right path is taken, you will face a horde of zombies, dealt with in three seperate battles. In between the second and third battle will be an interruption of three Ebitans. After the large group has been disposed of, three Shanes will attempt to throw axes at you. Shoot a box to get a Life Box before you will face a swarm of bats at the tunnel.
Regardless of your decision, you will eventually end up at a tunnel, where four Kageo torsos will appear from the vents. After the torsos, two Nelsons moving erratically will appear from the station before the train arrives. A train will arrive, releasing its cargo of zombies. After they are all dead, you will enter the train, where the Empress attacks.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ + [ THE EMPRESS Type 1210 ] + + WEAK POINT: The head + + NO DAMAGE: The chainsaws and body + ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
At the cutscene, the Empress cuts up a door and throws it at the player(s). A Quick Time Event will trigger and you must break free before she damages you. After you break free, you will run to the next car.
A group of undead passengers are startled by your appearance and will attack. Clear them all before you proceed further, where you will turn back and the Empress is behind you. She will simply run towards you, so shoot her in the head before she gets up close and attempts to slice you with her chainsaw. Once the CANCEL bar is filled, she will stumble.
After the next car, another train will pass by with several zombies. Get rid of the Shanes first as they will throw their axes at you. The other zombies can be shot at, but they do not retaliate as they are too far in addition to being on a moving object to get at you. Afterwards, the Empress will cut up more things with her chainsaw and fling them at you; shoot them to destroy it. Just like in phase 2, the Empress does not take much action but simply tries to charge at you. Once the CANCEL bar is filled, she will stumble. You will then run into the next car.
This phase is fought in three separate sections. At the car, you will see several holes above you. The Empress will attempt to kill you by using her chainsaw on those gaps, simply cutting through the metal until she reaches you. Shoot her head to stop the attack. Once the CANCEL bar is filled, she will give up attacking from above. You will run further into the car when she attacks from the right side. She does the same thing as the last attack, so shoot her at the head. Once the CANCEL bar is filled, she will give up attacking on that side, but instead jump over to the other side where she does the same thing. Once the CANCEL bar is filled, she will give up attacking on this phase and you will run to the next car.
At the next car, the Empress drops down into the car with you, showing that she has broken her chainsaw in half to make her more deadly. She will simply charge up at you. Shoot her quickly before she gets up close. Once the CANCEL bar is filled, she will stumble. You will run into the next car.
At the last car, the Empress changes things up and swings her chainsaws at the player, slightly covering her head. She will do this attack twice, so the attacks should be quite predictable. After being damaged enough, she will move backwards due to her wounds and now attempt to kill you in a frenzy. She will block the first few attacks with her chainsaw; shoot her to knock her back further. She will use the same attacks as the beginning of the phase but will move faster, so shoot her down quickly.