(Sega AM1's universe)
Earth has evolved in a way so that it naturally
regulates the population of any given species. (Slams desk) Humans were once subject to this system,
regardless of whether or not they knew it. (Grinning) Pandora's Box is opening.
Hope (希望, Kibō) is the sixth and final Chapter of The House of the Dead 4.
Caleb Goldman, in his office, remarks that Earth has "evolved in a way" to where it can regulate any given species. He then stands up and slams his desk in anger, mentioning that "humans were once subject to [that] system", whether the humans realize it or not. He then grins, before stating that "Pandora's Box is opening" (read the exact quote above). The camera pans behind him to reveal that there are two AMS agents, James Taylor and Gary Stewart, pointing their guns to him, revealing this to be a flashback to the events in the year 2000.
Back in present-day 2003, James and his partner Kate Green infiltrate Goldman Building[sic] to stop the launch of nuclear missiles. They take an elevator to the 49th floor (which is noticeably different from The House of the Dead 2, where James and/or Gary will go all the way to the 50th floor), which has Japanese decoration. When there are only five minutes remaining, Kate helps James climb a flight of stairs, urging him not to "give up hope". Using the computer concealed within Goldman's desk, Kate deactivates the nuclear missiles with 30 seconds to spare.
The computer monitor shifts to a video message featuring Goldman. He congratulates the agents and reveals that he did not intend to destroy the world, but merely revert humanity to its "natural state". However, he says that he cannot do anything as "Pandora's Box has been opened", although still implies the agents can prevent disaster if they "[made] it [that] far".
The building shakes as The World, an insectoid creature and the successor to Emperor, emerges from the building courtyard. James and Kate battle The World, which continues to grow and evolve despite their efforts. Realizing this once they start fighting its third form, James sets his PDA to self-destruct. Telling Kate not to "give up hope", he then approach The World to sacrifices himself, obliterating the monster in the process. Shaken and distraught, Kate leaves Goldman's premises.
The agents will move towards an elevator. An Eric will shows up from inside. Kill it to prompts a cutscene, where Kate will ask James if "[he's] alright". James responds that he is fine, but "remembered" when "it all started", which is "back in the year 2000". He told Kate that they "must finish this once and for all" as the elevator reached the 49th floor of the building.
Several Erics and Franklins will shows up to the right of the elevator. Kill them to enter a hallway, where eight Franklins will shows up. After they are dealt with, three Lances will shows up, one on the floor, two on the wall to the left of the player(s). Kill them to proceed into a doorway, where a group of Franklins will shows up. After killing them, the agents will look to their left, where the are two boxes laid on the floor. Shoot them, as one of those boxes will contains a life bonus. Also, if the player(s) able to shoot inside the mouth of the golden dragon on the floor, they will be granted access to a bonus area, which will be found at 50th floor. The agents will look towards the room, which has Japanese decoration. Kate then remarks that she thinks that "[Goldman] needs to hire a new decorator". As the player(s) walk inside the room, two Lances will break the glass floor. After they are dealt with, several Erics will zaps through a door, pursuing a fight from the player(s). Once killed, the player(s) will attempt to take a staircase, but several Franklins spawned in front of them. Kill them to prompts a cutscene.
Kate will remarks that the agents have "five minutes" left, shouting in despair that "[they're] not going to make it" in time to stop the countdown. James then drops at the staircase, the pain from the battle with The Star in the previous Chapter clearly still not healed. Kate then pull James up, telling him to "hang in there" and not to "give up hope". James responds that "[he] can't let this end just yet". If the player(s) manage to shoot inside the mouth of the dragon on the 49th floor, the agents will enter the first room to their right, which filled with several point-boosting items, before going back to the hallway, where several Erics popped out from the other rooms to approach them; if the player(s) fail to do that prior, they will simply face the mentioned Erics right away. Four Lances (two each to the left and right sides of the agents) will spawned. After killing them, if the player(s) reached this point using any continue, the agents will directly walk towards the door in front of them; if the player(s) reached this point without using any continue, the agents will look to their left to a room that served as the last bonus area in the game, which contains several point-boosting items and most importantly, two bonus lives. The player(s) given approximately six seconds to obtain all of the items, before the agents then going back to the hallway to walk towards the mentioned door in front of them.
The agents will discover a pathway to their right (which is again noticeably different from The House of the Dead 2, as James and/or Gary will turned left upon coming from the door), which will leads to a staircase that allow the agents to access Goldman's office. With just 30 seconds left, Kate manage to stop the countdown for the nuclear missile launch. The agents will be relieved for a moment, before the computer monitor suddenly shifts to a video message featuring Goldman. He started by congratulating the agents by making it that far. He then said that "it was not [his] wish to destroy the world with nuclear missiles", as he himself didn't "[want] to kill all humans", just merely wanted to "revert them to their natural state". He then remarks that "Pandora's Box has been opened" and "there is nothing [he] can do to stop it". However, he stated that if the agents were able "to [made] it [that] far, there is yet still hope". The agents will looks from a glass window behind them to see that the floor is shaking vigorously, before revealing a crystal ball from underneath. The agents then approached that ball, which will be opened to reveal The World inside. The World, upon seeing the agents, will remarks that "[he is] the ultimate being" and mentions that "there is no hope" as "[his] hammer of death [will] rain down upon [the agents]". James then tells Kate that "this is [the moment]" as they have to "give it all [they] got" to stop The World. The fight with him will then begin.
- Main article: The World#Gameplay
James' PDA will be confused over what is his Weak Point, which is actually his Heart that was exposed on the middle of his chest. The World will raise up, exposing his heart. He will then randomly attack the player(s) using one of these strategies:
- Attack #1: With a glowing fist, The World sends a several ice pillars after the player(s). Shooting the pillars in time stops the attack. Failure to do so requires a successful gun shake sequence in order to avoid damage.
- Attack #2: Similar to the previous attack, except that The World sends two ice pillars from both fists. Shooting the pillars in time stops the attack. Failure to do so requires a successful gun shake sequence in order to avoid damage.
- Attack #3: A giant axe made out of ice materializes in The World's hands. Shoot at the head of the axe to destroy it before The World uses it to damage the player(s).
If The World lose around 60% of his health, he will sends four ice projectiles into the sky. The projectiles will spin around before combining to form a massive projectile, which will drop on the player(s) for damage. The World will continue this attack until the player(s) manage to survive The World's first form, seemingly killing him.
This however is wrong, as The World will raise up and change his form to be much bigger and stronger. Same as in the first big phase, he will then randomly attack the player(s) using one of these strategies:
- Attack #1: With a glowing fist, The World sends an ice dragon which flies in a spiral towards the player(s) for a bite.
- Attack #2: The World sends two ice dragons past the player(s). The camera then turns around as the dragons fly behind the player(s) to deliver a bite attack.
- Attack #3: The World summons up to six ice dragons to fly directly at the player(s), one at a time, alternating left and right. He also covers his weak point with his arms.
As with the first form, if The World lose around 60% of his health, he will create an ice dragon which flies upwards and ultimately downwards to the player(s) in a spiral motion. The World will continue this attack until the player(s) manage to survive The World's second form, again seemingly killing him.
However, The World is again not dead, even transforming to a spirit with full body now. James then set his PDA to self-destruct. Telling Kate not to "give up hope", he then approach The World to sacrifices himself, obliterating the monster in the process. Kate then drops to her knees, wondering "what should [she] do" without him. After some moments of mourning James' death, Kate then leaves Goldman's premises.
Bonus Items and Area(s)
- Main article: Bonus_items#The_House_of_the_Dead_4_and_Special
There are bonus items and area(s) scattered across the Chapter:
- Bonus Item (There is only one in this Chapter):
- Two boxes are located at the corner of the room with Japanese decoration. One of them will contains a Med Kit.
- Bonus Area(s):
- This can only be accessed if the player(s) successfully shoot inside the mouth of the dragon on the floor of the room with Japanese decoration, which will be indicated by a shining gold light. When the player(s) climb up to the 50th floor, a room to the right side of the player(s) will open up. The room will contains a Golden Bell, a Golden Frog, a Top Hat, a Bronze Coin, and a Grenade.
- This can only be accessed if the player(s) arrived at the door leading to the staircase that will take the agents to Goldman's office without using any continue. Before going inside that door, the agents will turn to their left, where another room opened up. The room contains two Med Kits, a Toy School Bus, a Golden Magician, a Golden Bell, a Golden Frog, a Top Hat, a Gold Coin, a Silver Coin, a Bronze Coin, and two Grenades (which means every bonus items in the game, 10 of them, appeared inside the room). The player(s) will be given only six seconds to obtain all the items. It is best to prioritize taking the Med Kits, as this is the last chance to acquire so prior to the final battle with The World.
Depending on the player's performance, one of four endings will play after the credits. After each ending, the text "The story continues in THE HOUSE OF THE DEAD 3[sic]..." appears.
|Normal Ending: Finish the game using continue(s) and/or have a Rank 3 or higher.||The view returns to Goldman's office computer, continuing his pre-recorded message. He gives a final statement as he walks away: "Ah yes, there is one thing I forgot. The human race has not been eliminated. Travel north... hope is such a splendid thing."|
|Bad Ending: Finish the game without continue(s), but not have a Rank 3 or higher.||It is the same as the above ending, except when Goldman mentions hope, he takes off his glasses and the camera zooms on his face. His eyes are glowing red and his face is pale.|
|G Ending: Get an S Rank on the last Chapter and get minimum of A Rank on every other Chapters.||Standing near the site of The World's destruction, AMS agent G vows that the creature threat will be fought back to its source. He tells James to "rest" and leaves. The camera pans up to Goldman's building before cutting to black.|
|Mystery Man Ending: Get an S Rank on three Chapters and get minimum of A Rank for the rest of the Chapter(s).||A mysterious man (later will be confirmed as Thornheart) sits at a desk in the corner of an office, stating: "Goldman, you are soft. These wretched humans have no need of hope. Soon, the true end shall begin... There is more than one Pandora's Box".|
- Like in The House of the Dead 2's sixth Chapter, at least one Eric appears inside the elevator.
- The car that James and Kate drove to the building in the previous Chapter is nowhere to be found.
- This is the only Chapter in the game that provide one fixed bonus item, as every other bonus items can only be accessed by the player(s) if they make a correct action (shooting inside the mouth of the dragon on the floor of the room with Japanese decoration) and/or survive all the Chapters prior to the final battle without using any continue.
- There are two noticeable differences with Goldman Building[sic] (other than the different naming) compared to its appearance in The House of the Dead 2:
- In The House of the Dead 2, the elevator reached the 50th floor, however, in The House of the Dead 4, the elevator only reached the 49th floor.
- In The House of the Dead 2, Goldman's office is located to the left of the player(s) upon entering the door prior to the staircase that leads to the office, however, in The House of the Dead 4, it is located to the right of the player(s).