(Main series and Spin-offs)
There's persistent... And then there's just plain annoying!
Type-0053, codenamed "Justice" (ジャスティス Jasutisu ), was a shackled four-armed, long-tongued behemoth. He[note 1] is the first boss in The House of the Dead 4, The House of the Dead 4 Special, and Loving Deads: The House of the Dead EX.
Justice relentlessly pursued his prey in an attempt to grab, bite, or drop-kick them. His weak point was his tongue.
- 1 Appearance
- 2 Appearances
- 3 Gameplay
- 4 Trivia
- 5 Gallery
- 6 Notes
Justice is a massive one-eyed humanoid with tattered clothing, decaying skin, and exposed sections of muscle. He has a long tongue and sharp teeth. He has two extra arms protruding from his back. His four arms are noticeably shackled.
Justice has two attacks. He first chases players with open arms, attempting to grab them; shaking the gun escapes his grasp. As long as his cancel bar is not fully depleted, Justice repeats the attack up to four times. The fifth time he grabs the players, they cannot shake it off and will be damaged.
In his second attack, Justice pursues players with his face covered. After four steps, he jumps and kicks the player as he falls.
Throughout the fight, throwing a grenade near Justice causes him to swallow it; the resulting explosion automatically cancels an attack phase.
Justice was one of several creatures unleashed by the late Caleb Goldman, the financier of Dr. Curien's research, in a posthumous 2003 outbreak. Goldman sought using the creatures to counteract human overpopulation, thus protecting nature.
The outbreak trapped AMS agents James Taylor and Kate Green underground. They battled to an elevator hall, only to be ambushed by Justice, who grabs and drops them in the sewers. After the agents killed Justice, it melts into a black goo.
After James' sacrifice to stop Goldman's final creation, the World, Kate teamed with agent "G" to fight the outbreak back to its source. Driving through the creature-infested streets to an unidentified building, the agents were attacked by Justice, who they defeated after a battle.
Justice appears as the boss of the first chapter, ambushing Zobio and Zobiko in the sewers. The boss battle involves players cleaning the bad teeth in his mouth by spraying them with water.
He can later on be seen in the Zombie Catcher minigame where by he uses his arms take away zombies to protect the couple.
In both of his appearances, Justice is a persistent foe who boasts a mixture of direct and grab-based attacks; the latter of these can be escaped by completing "escape" sequences (either by shaking the controller or, in the case of The House of the Dead 4 Special's arcade version, rapidly pressing a button). However, this cannot be done forever, as Justice's grab attacks will become inescapable after he captures player(s) enough times. His weak point -- his tongue -- is a relatively easy target, but in certain attack phases can be more difficult to track. The effect of throwing grenades at Justice varies between games.
In The House of the Dead 4, Justice mainly uses grab-based attacks but may also attempt drop kicking the player. Two of his attack phases are also random. Once per attack phase, a grenade may be thrown at Justice, causing him to eat it; the grenade will explode, immediately ending the phase.
Justice's refight in In The House of the Dead 4 Special is noticeably shorter and features one new attack phase. He also does not swallow grenades and instead loses a small amount of health if a grenade explodes nearby.
The House of the Dead 4
- In a cutscene, James and Kate are grabbed by Justice. Rapidly shaking the controller prevents damage. Regardless of the player's success or failure, the AMS agents are dropped into the sewers as Justice appears.
- Justice pursues the player, his weak point exposed to gunfire. When close, he will grab the player and trigger another controller shake sequence; failure results in the player being bitten. Justice will repeat this attack until his "cancel" gauge has been depleted enough to end the phase. His grabs will eventually become inescapable after some time.
- Justice crashes through a wall, during which he can be shot for chip damage; his hand later emerges from another wall and grabs the player. This is another controller shake sequence.
- Justice appears around a corner, covering his face as he stomps forward. After taking enough steps, he will drop kick the player.
- A random phase determined by James' line beforehand. If he says "This way!", Justice performs phase 2; if he says "Follow me!", Justice attacks with the phase 4 attack.
- Justice repeats attack phase 2.
- A random phase. Justice will perform the opposite phase than what he performed in phase 5.
- Grenades are best used for Justice's drop kick phases if one has trouble stopping them. Justice's grab phases are comparatively less of a threat, and thus should not require the use of grenades.
The House of the Dead 4 Special
- Justice grabs Kate and G in a cutscene. This triggers an "escape" sequence to avoid damage. Regardless of the player's success or failure, this phase ends after the sequence.
- Justice performs phase 2 from The House of the Dead 4.
- Justice crashes through a wall, during which he can be shot for chip damage; he later appears around a corner, rearing back before biting the player.
- Justice performs phase 4 from the previous game, repeating the attack as long as he has health remaining.
- Because grenades will not immediately end Justice's attack phases, it is best for a player to only use them if the resulting damage is enough to empty the last of his "cancel" gauge.
- Justice is the only boss from The House of the Dead 4 that is fought more than once; he appears again in Special.
- It is currently unknown whether the Justice faced in Special is the same as the one in 4. However, considering the original is seen melting into black goo, it seems unlikely.
- Justice, like Temperance and Strength, shares his name with a Cardinal Virtue (or Auditio).
- Justice seems to bear a red tattoo on his right shoulder, in the likeness of the Scales of Justice.
|The House of the Dead||Chariot • Hangedman • Hermit • Magician|
|2||Judgment • Hierophant • Tower • Strength • Magician • Emperor|
|III||Death • Fool • Sun • Wheel of Fate|
|4 / 4 Special||Justice (4 and 4 Special) • The Lovers • The Empress • Temperance • The Star • The World • Magician (4 Special only)|
|Scarlet Dawn||Chariot • Hangedman • High Priestess • Moon|
|Overkill / Extended Cut||Jasper • Coco and Sindy (Extended Cut only) • Screamer • Nigel and Sebastian • Meat Katie (Extended Cut only) • Crawler • Lobber • Brutus • Mother|
|Zombie Revenge||UDS-03 • Warm Hedlin & Shell Hedlin • UDS-05 • UDS-02 • UDS-07 ("Nikelle") • UDS-06B • UDS-TP II 00 & UDS-TP II 01 • UDS-03 ("Neclien") • UDS-04C • ZED • Black Magician Type 01|
|Vampire Night||Bathe'lemy • Guillaume • Rauoul • Diane • Auguste|