(Main series and Spin-offs)
Kate Green (ケイト・グリーン Keito gurīn ) is an agent of the now-defunct American government organization AMS. Since her recruitment, she has worked with the brothers James and Ryan Taylor to combat worldwide incidents involving biologically-engineered creatures. Over time, her skills improved greatly and she eventually learned to never give up hope.
She is one of the main protagonists in The House of the Dead 4, The House of the Dead 4 Special, and House of the Dead: Scarlet Dawn. She also makes a cameo appearance in Loving Deads: The House of the Dead EX.
- Main article: The House of the Dead 4
In 2003, Kate, a newcomer AMS agent, was assigned as James Taylor's partner. While gathering intelligence at the agency's European branch office, an earthquake trapped them inside. Discovering swarms of creatures on the security cameras, Kate and James armed themselves with SMGs and escaped to the sewers.
Battling the four-armed Justice and the Lovers, a pair of mutated tarantulas, the AMS agents discovered a eminent nuclear missile launch. They took a subway train to the surface, killing the Empress, a chainsaw-wielding assassin. Both were unsure of the outbreak's source, though James suspected that events of the "2000 Goldman Case" hadn't yet ended.
After defeating the hulking Temperance on the undead-infested streets and discovering the city in ruins, deceased businessman Caleb Goldman began an hour-long countdown to the missile launch via a message on James' PDA. Racing to Goldman's headquarters, Kate and James defeated the Star, but James was wounded; Kate supported him as they reached Goldman's office, successfully stopping the missiles in time.
Claiming that he merely wanted to revert humans to their "original state" with the missile launch, Goldman unleashed the World, an insect-like humanoid meant to be a successor to Emperor. The creature grew larger and powerful with each defeat; James set his PDA to self-destruct, and, telling Kate not to "give up hope", as he sacrificed himself to destroy the World that in the resulting explosion. Kate, distraught and confused of what she should do, left Goldman's building alone.
Search to find source of incident
- Main article: The House of the Dead 4 Special
Now alone and saddened by James' absence, Kate teamed up with AMS agent G to fight the infestation back to its source. After killing a revived Justice, the pair discovered a secret laboratory.
Inside, Magician -- the final creation of Dr. Curien in 1998, which Goldman resurrected two years later -- awoke and battled them. After defeating him, "G" told Kate that the fight "is about to begin" and the two leave.
2006 Scarecrow Manor investigation
- Main article: House of the Dead: Scarlet Dawn
After her prior missions, Kate was renowned for her courage and became one of the most popular agents of the AMS.
On December 6, 2006, Kate was dispatched for an undercover investigation of "Code R" at Scarecrow Manor, with James' brother Ryan joining her. After the owner unleashed creatures upon reception guests, the agents battled through the manor. Among the creatures they defeated were Chariot, Hangedman, and High Priestess. Ryan feared that he would die like James.
Kate and Ryan found evidence revealing that the owner, Thornheart, was affiliated with Goldman and Dr. Curien, and is devising a scheme named "Noah's Ark". The agents confronted Thornheart in a church, but he escaped as a massive creature, Moon, emerged. Realizing that Moon was impervious to gunfire, Ryan impaled it with a giant metal rod, causing the creature to be fatally zapped by lightning. Kate believed that this was James himself intervening from the dead.
Shortly after, Ryan told Kate that he is tired of people close to him being victimized. Kate reminded him of James' motto: "No sacrifices anymore. It's too late for regrets. Something like that."
Despite being a new member of the AMS, Kate is portrayed as capable of handling situations people would normally be afraid of. She is not afraid to speak her mind, as she is shown usually commenting on how dangerous her situation is or how disgusting the monsters she encounters are; yet she struggles to understand the circumstances she is in and what the word "hope" really means, indicating that she still has a lot to learn as an agent. It is implied that she is interested in fashion, in particular modelling, as she sometimes behaves and poses like a model. She also shown to be quite flirtatious, as she sometimes asks if the creatures "liked her that much" when grabbed.
James' death had a strong impact on her character; she becomes more independent and serious. She is still confused about what she's gotten herself into even after everything she's been through, but nonetheless, she displays a large amount of courage and optimism as the story progresses. She also shown to be a person that can cooperate easily, as she agrees to help G "fight back to the source" without hesitation.
In Scarlet Dawn, she is shown to have taken the mindsets of more veteran agents, in particular James Taylor. She's shown to be a lot more brave, risking her life helping innocent civilians to safety even when fighting Chariot. She also shown to have a high level of endurance, as she continues to fight Chariot even after grabbed and choked by the latter. In addition, due to her being an AMS elite, she is shown to have a decent amount of knowledge of the history of the unknown organization which Thornheart was involved with. She's still not afraid to speak her mind, although not as often as before, going so far as to call Ryan "crazy" for crashing the motorbike they're on and jumped off from it.
However, despite her experience, she has developed some sort of PTSD, which she is shown to have panicked and seemingly losing hope when fighting Moon, mainly due to Moon having the same metamorphosis ability as the World, the latter which kills her partner James. She is also seen panicked when Ryan recklessly attempts to do a desperate last-ditch attempt at killing Moon, as she quickly came to Ryan's aid as soon as he fell.
Nevertheless, she has shown immense amount of bravery and courage throughout the incident, allowing her to help Ryan surviving the ordeal, despite the latter's fear that he would die like his brother.
In The House of the Dead 4 and Special, Kate has long blonde hair with a shade of light brown color. She wears a red blazer, a black long sleeve sweater, a white-gold scarf, a black skirt, black long stockings, and black boots. In Loving Deads: The House of the Dead EX, she wears the same outfit from 4, but it now has a darker colored scarf and her lower part of the blazer, all the way to her boots has pitch black color (it is unknown why her lower part has fully black color instead of black color with noticeable details, such as shoes, skirt, etc.)
In House of the Dead: Scarlet Dawn, Kate has her long blonde hair in a bun hairstyle with bangs swept to the left. She wears a red long sleeve dress with see-through floral pattern on her back, a butterfly-shaped pendant, and black high heels with strap. In a flashback cutscene, she wears a plain white long sleeve dress.
According to The House of the Dead series director Takashi Oda and producer Yasuhiro Nishiyama, Kate's appearance was inspired by Hollywood actresses. There were various proposals for her wardrobe in Scarlet Dawn, including wearing a fur coat or military-type clothing to "bring out [her] individuality". Ultimately, it was decided that Kate's dress identified her as being "involved in the case", while also realistically establishing her as a main character.
In the first House of the Dead: Scarlet Dawn location test build, Kate's voice was younger and a line -- "We must leave at once!" -- was spoken despite her lips not moving. The final release cut this line and made her voice more monotone.
- In both The House of the Dead 4 and Special, Kate always gets the position of 2P. This tradition is eventually repeated in Scarlet Dawn.
- Though in Special, Kate is briefly playable in 1P position (both 1P and 2P during multi-play) during the beginning of Chapter 1, before the player is introduced to G.
- Kate appears in Loving Deads: The House of the Dead EX as a cameo in Chapter 3's "Detective Zobiko", alongside James Taylor and Gary Stewart, both in their The House of the Dead 2 outfits. In this game, she holds signs in a manner similar to a boxing-ring "Round Girl".
- It can be implied that she's not a good driver; in Special, she spins out while driving, and later, she blasts out the car headlights.
- Kate is acrophobic (afraid of heights) as stated in the path selection screen during the second chapter in The House of the Dead 4.
- Excluding The House of the Dead 4 Special and the spin-off The House of the Dead EX, Kate Green is the first female protagonist to appear in more than one installment (she was introduced in The House of the Dead 4 and she returned as one of the main protagonists in House of the Dead: Scarlet Dawn).
- Kate Green shares a similar name with a recurring Dead Rising character, Katey Greene. Both are main characters of their franchises.
- ↑ ハウス・オブ・ザ・デッド ～スカーレットドーン～ | HOUSE OF THE DEAD ～SCARLET DAWN～ | セガ (Japanese). Archived from the original on May 25, 2020. “持ち前の度胸と大胆な行動力を持ちAMS内でも一目置かれているエージェント。数年前、とある事件の調査をライアンの兄ジェームズと共に行っていた。”
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 House of the Dead: Scarlet Dawn
- ↑ https://youtu.be/BWJzQEHV6a4
- ↑ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6FtILrMhvQ
- ↑ UE4をベースにHoudiniも活用！ アーケード人気シリーズ最新作『HOUSE OF THE DEAD ～SCARLET DAWN～』 | 特集 | CGWORLD.jp (Japanese) pp. 1-3. CGWORLD.jp (October 10, 2018). Archived from the original on October 2, 2019. “パーティ会場がゲーム開始時の舞台なため、主人公であるライアンとケイトはタキシードとドレスを着用している。彼らの個性を出すためジャケットの着脱やアーミースタイルなどの案もあったが、「タキシードのままの方が事件に巻き込まれた感じが出る」ということで、ライアンは【画像左】の右側のデザインの方向性で進めることになった。あくまでも「実際にいそうな人物だが、主人公として目立つ」ということが重要だったという。【画像右】採用されなかった案だが、ケイトはファーによるリッチな表現する等の案があった”
- ↑ "死亡之屋：血色黎明 试玩关卡完整流程" (Chinese). Bilibili (January 20, 2018). Retrieved on August 28, 2020.