My love was murdered... I could not help her...
Rauoul (ラウル, Rauru), also referred to as the Dark Mind, is a former vampire and follower of Auguste. He is an antagonist and the third boss of Vampire Night, a 2000 spiritual successor to the House of the Dead series.
Rauoul resented humanity after his transformation and the death of Sophie, his love interest. He attempted to stop vampire hunters Michel and Albert from reaching Auguste, but was ultimately defeated and transformed back into a human.
He is fought in both his human and vampire forms: as a human, he can create multiple copies of himself; as a vampire, he transports his victims to a dream-like realm and controls a massive vampire. His weak point in both forms is his entire body.
He could not forgive himself for not being able to save the love of his life. His hate for humans consumed him from within. His hatred grew even stronger once he became a vampire.Hunter's Files entry[src]
Rauoul lost his love interest, Sophie, after she was murdered by their own kind, humans. Rauoul blamed himself for his inability to save Sophie and continues to lament her. Rauoul's hatred for humans eventually consumed him from within and he decided to become a vampire to obtain greater power to get revenge on humans.[excerpt 1]
After Guillaume's defeat, he sets out to deal with the vampire hunters. As the hunters made their way through the castle, Rauoul appears before them, challenging them to a duel. Despite using his illusion powers, the hunters were able to repel Rauoul. He then drags the hunters to another realm where he sacrifices his humanity to become a vampire, but was defeated by the hunters. As the hunters were about to execute him, Rauoul asks to Caroline, mistaking her for the late Sophie, to forgive him. Feeling pity, Caroline begs Albert and Michel not to kill him. Michel pulled the trigger, only to miss Rauoul who realizes he has become human again. Michel urges Rauoul to live his life as a human and to fight for his soul once again before departing.
Skills and abilities
Rauoul is a skilled swordsman as shown during his duel with Michel and Albert, battling them with his rapier. Rauoul's vampire power has also given him great agility and the power of illusion, allowing him to create multiple copies of himself to deceive the hunters.
Unlike the other vampires, Rauoul's true form is not as monstrous as the rest, still maintaining mostly human characteristics. This may have been caused by Rauoul himself not fully embracing his vampire side as he is still unable to let go of his human side completely, despite his hatred for all humans. In this form, Rauoul is able to levitate and summon a giant behemoth to assist him in battle. The giant behemoth is able to create a portal which can send out boulders. While the behemoth he summons is invulnerable, Rauoul himself is not, therefore becoming a weak point for them both.
- Rauoul will run towards the the player(s) for a slash, creating two copies of himself before those will go back to him after a distance. This phase ends when he appears at the top of a flying buttress before jumping off.
- Rauoul will levitate objects before jumping up, creating two copies of himself at the same time. After a set amount of time, he and his copies will jump down for a slash. This phase ends when there are no objects on the floor.
- In both phases, the summoned copies appear to be non-solid compared to him and shooting them causes no damage.
- Rauoul will command the giant behemoth to use the following attacks and continues doing so until he is defeated:
- The giant behemoth will hit the player(s) with its fists.
- The giant behemoth will open a portal which causes boulders to appear.
- The giant behemoth will doing an upper or downward cut.
- For the fist attack, the giant behemoth will attack from a distance and move close.
- For the boulder attack, the boulders move towards the player(s) after a set time. If the cancel bar is depleted quickly for the second attack, the remaining boulders not thrown yet will drop back into the portal.
- For the upper or downward cut attack, the background will turn brown when it starts; Rauoul will move from one side of the screen to the other twice before appearing with the giant behemoth; and reverts to normal once a different attack is executed.
|"As might have been expected of a Vampire Hunter."|
|"What do you know?! What I have lost?! The pain I have suffered! Now, let's see what a human can do."|
|"I must admit, you have done well. Go. Humans, how vain can you be? Enough! You humans disgust me! Now it's your turn to suffer!"|
|"You humans make me remember... I couldn't save her... This pain... To heal my pain, I shall sacrifice my soul and be a vampire. Humans, heal my soul!"|
|"Sophie, please forgive me."|
- His fight in vampire form resembles that of Judgment.
- In training mode, players only battle Raoul's vampire form. To increase the challenge, he has full health instead of remaining health after players depleted some of it during his human form.
- Excerpt from Vampire Night Perfect Guide, p.7:
"最愛の人を守れなかった己の弱さを恨み…寝ても覚めてもその光景が頭から離れることはなかった。人間とは何と薄汚い生き物なんだ…己の欲望の為に同じ人間を殺す のか。…自分もそんな人間の一人だというのか…ヴァンバイアとの出会いを境に、その苦しみは人間全体の憎悪へと変化していく… "
- Vampire Night Perfect Guide, pg. 7
|The House of the Dead||Chariot • Hangedman • Hermit • Magician|
|2||Judgment • Hierophant • Tower • Strength • Magician • Emperor|
|III||Death • Fool • Sun • Wheel of Fate|
|4 / 4 Special||Justice (4 and 4 Special) • The Lovers • The Empress • Temperance • The Star • The World • Magician (4 Special only)|
|Scarlet Dawn||Chariot • Hangedman • High Priestess • Moon|
|Overkill / Extended Cut||Jasper • Coco and Sindy (Extended Cut only) • Screamer • Nigel and Sebastian • Meat Katie (Extended Cut only) • Crawler • Lobber • Brutus • Mother|
|Zombie Revenge||UDS-03 • Warm Hedlin & Shell Hedlin • UDS-05 • UDS-02 • UDS-07 ("Nikelle") • UDS-06B • UDS-TP II 00 & UDS-TP II 01 • UDS-03 ("Neclien") • UDS-04C • ZED • Black Magician Type 01|
|Vampire Night||Bathe'lemy • Guillaume • Rauoul • Diane • Auguste|
|Sega Golden Gun||Zhang Jiao • Gao Qiu • Da Ji • Dark Emperor|