(Sega AM1's universe)
I'm tired of people close to me being a victim.
The younger[note 1] brother of the late special agent James Taylor, Ryan aided in a 2006 undercover investigation of Scarecrow Manor, uncovering a plot to decimate humanity with biologically-engineered creatures.
- 1 Biography
- 2 Personality
- 3 Appearance
- 4 Quotes
- 5 Development
- 6 Gallery
- 7 Notes
- 8 References
2006 Scarecrow Manor investigation
- Main article: House of the Dead: Scarlet Dawn
On December 6, 2006, Ryan was dispatched for an undercover investigation of "Code R" at Scarecrow Manor, with agent Kate Green joining him. After the owner unleashed creatures upon reception guests, the agents battled through the manor. Among the creatures they defeated were Chariot, Hangedman, and High Priestess. Ryan feared that he would die like James.
Ryan and Kate found evidence revealing that the owner, Thornheart, was affiliated with Goldman and Dr. Curien, and is devising a scheme named "Noah's Ark". The agents confronted Thornheart in a church, but he escaped as a massive creature, Moon, emerged. Realizing that Moon was impervious to gunfire, Ryan impaled it with a giant metal rod, causing the creature to be fatally struck by lightning. Kate told Ryan that this was James himself intervening from the dead.
Shortly after, Ryan told Kate that he is tired of people close to him being victimized. Kate reminded him of James' motto: "No sacrifices anymore. It's too late for regrets. Something like that."
Although courageous, Ryan is at times naive and reckless, often quipping at the creatures (such as calling Chariot "big boy"). He is more somber over James' death, expressing frustration that people close to him have been victimized. He fears sharing a similar fate.
Ryan has short black hair and hazel-blue eyes. He wears a white shirt with long sleeves, a black/gray waist jacket, a black tie with gold stripes, black leather gloves, navy-blue pants and black shoes.
- "Wipe 'em out!"
- "Hurry! Shoot 'em!"
- "Ugh! Get off me!"
- "Stay back!"
- "I appreciate your great skill!"
- "Thanks! You helped me!"
- "Thank you! I think I'm ok..."
- "Didn't even feel that!"
- "No worries!"
- "They're getting desperate!"
- "Not bad!"
- [One life remaining] "Agh... I'm getting sloppy..."
- [One life remaining] "Is this the end?"
Partner's Chapter Result
- "[S rank] No wonder you're my bro's favorite!"
- "[A+ rank] Woah! You were AMS' elite for a reason!"
- "[A rank] You're even better than I expected!"
- "[B rank] Slow and steady wins the race, I guess."
- "[B rank] A little rusty after being away so long?"
- "[C+ rank] You ok? I thought that'd go better."
- "[C rank] You holding back? They don't need your pity!"
- "[Rank 1] The ultimate title! I may even have my bro beat!"
- "[Rank 2] Unbelievable! I actually made it to the top!"
- "[Rank 3] Wow! I'm closing in on my bro's record!"
- "[Rank 4] Hey, nobody's more surprised here than I am!"
- "[Rank 5] My work as an agent's being recognized!"
- "[Rank 6] Not bad. But I've got more in me."
- "[Rank 7] Gave it my best... I guess I need more experience..."
- "[Rank 8] Gonna have to rack up more field experience."
Scarlet Dawn's development team experimented with a variety of clothing designs for Ryan, including a military-type ensemble to "bring out [his] individuality". Ultimately, it was decided that his suit identified him as being "involved in the case", while also realistically establishing him as a main character.
In the first House of the Dead: Scarlet Dawn location test build, Ryan's voice was goofier and more exaggerated; the final release made it more serious in addition to altering some dialogue.
- In Scarlet Dawn's Japanese subtitles, Ryan calls James aniki (兄貴, aniki), an informal Japanese honorific for an older brother.
- ハウス・オブ・ザ・デッド ～スカーレットドーン～ | HOUSE OF THE DEAD ～SCARLET DAWN～ | セガ (Japanese). Archived from the original on May 25, 2020. “数年前の事件で命を落とした兄ジェームズの実弟兄を尊敬し、同じくAMSのエージェントとなった。今回の任務でケイトとパートナーを組み、兄の仕事ぶりを知ることとなる。”
- The House of the Dead 4
- House of the Dead: Scarlet Dawn
- UE4をベースにHoudiniも活用！ アーケード人気シリーズ最新作『HOUSE OF THE DEAD ～SCARLET DAWN～』 | 特集 | CGWORLD.jp (Japanese) pp. 1-3. CGWORLD.jp (October 10, 2018). Archived from the original on October 2, 2019. “パーティ会場がゲーム開始時の舞台なため、主人公であるライアンとケイトはタキシードとドレスを着用している。彼らの個性を出すためジャケットの着脱やアーミースタイルなどの案もあったが、「タキシードのままの方が事件に巻き込まれた感じが出る」ということで、ライアンは【画像左】の右側のデザインの方向性で進めることになった。あくまでも「実際にいそうな人物だが、主人公として目立つ」ということが重要だったという。”
- "死亡之屋：血色黎明 试玩关卡完整流程" (Chinese). Bilibili (January 20, 2018). Retrieved on August 28, 2020.