Type-0483, codenamed "Temperance," (テンパランス) is a giant mutation met by Kate and James as they enter the streets of Venice. The giant Toadman is possibly around 9 meters (30 feet) tall and resembles a mob lord clad in stretch pants, shoes, and a single fingerless glove, Temperance charges at Kate and James. His body is comprised mostly of gelatinous fat, making him all but impervious to the agents' attacks. In addition, he has a habit of curling up into a ball and rolling at the target. His weakspot is his head, although shots to the head will only cause him to recoil rather than suffer any actual damage.
As Kate and James exit the subway into the zombie-infested streets of Venice above, they attempt to gain higher ground to assess the situation. As they search for a good vantage point, Temperance arrives and tries to stomp on the agents. Realizing that this did no good, Type 0483 turns around and begins chasing them. A fight ensues as the agents try in vain to subdue the gelatinous giant. Kate and James, seeing that they can not harm him through conventional means, lure him up to a clock tower. Using a mechanism at the top, they lure Temperance to the tower and drop a massive iron clock on him, crushing his skull and killing him.
Interestingly, Temperance bears several markings in the form of tattoos that cover the majority of its body like Justice. These markings are also (partially) seen on the decaying bodies of some zombies seen in earlier parts of the game. Those same zombies also resemble mob members and street punks, which hints at a connection between Temperance and the zombies. Temperance was likely dispatched to cause havoc within the city along with the initial zombie mobs.
Temperance also appears in The House of the Dead EX.
The beast, as stated above, must have been a crime mob leader in its human form judging by the tattoos on his arms, chest, love handles, leather pants and a single fingerless glove. He's been given the nickname Toadman because his head resembles slightly that of a humanoid toad hybrid (nothing similar to the Lobber from Overkill). His body is mutated to be mostly composed of large flesh-pounded fat that ammunition does little to none damage to it. From observation, his head is the source of the beast's weakpoint due to the less fat and bumps covering it. However, even gunfire shots to the head won't do great harm to the beast. Supposively, the brain must be its true source of weakness so a large heavy object impacted on its head will damage its skull and broken remains would inflict on the beast's brain. His form of attack is that he curls up into a ball and starts creating a rampage by rolling.
- Temperance, along with Justice, shares his name with a cardinal virtue. His appearance, though, seems to be the total opposite of Temperance, as the virtue is self-restraint and sobriety while the monster is a gigantic relentless glutton.
- Temperance is the first major mutation un-killable by normal methods, only being destroyed by an environmental factor triggered by James and Kate.
- Temperance shares the same ability as Mr.Heart from Fist of the North Star.
- This is the first boss in the entire series that cannot be damaged by firearms or grenades (quite fitting, as the cardinal virtue of Temperance implies a lot of endurance). This was followed by Priestess and Moon, both from House of the Dead: Scarlet Dawn.
- Many consider Temperance the strongest boss in the entire series, as the boss only got stunned when hit by firearms or grenades, and continues to pursue the players without having much trouble. Some even believe he survived the events of the game after the falling clock face simply bounced off his face.