The House of the Dead Overkill: The Lost Reels is a rail-shooting mobile game developed and released by Sega for Android and iOS devices in April 25, 2013. It is a spin-off to the 2009 game The House of the Dead: Overkill: Extended Cut.
The game was priced at $4.99, but was later made free. It was eventually delisted from app stores; this occurred during a time in which Sega removed Android and iOS games that "no longer met [their] standards".
The Lost Reels loosely follows the story of the original House of the Dead: Overkill and its Extended Cut version; several levels are missing, Papa Caesar is only mentioned, and Clement Darling and his mother do not appear.
The majority of the game follows Agent G and Detective Isaac Washington's mission to neutralize Bayou City's mutant outbreak and apprehend Caesar, as depicted in the levels Papa's Palace of Pain, Ballistic Trauma, and finally Jailhouse Judgment. Naked Terror, an Extended Cut-exclusive level, was available for purchase and served as the chronological third level, involving strippers Varla Guns and Candi Stryper battling mutants in a side story. The bosses are Jasper, Screamer, Sindy (Coco is only mentioned in dialogue), and Brutus.
Instead of voiced dialogue, The Lost Reels uses comic book-style slideshows with text. There is no ending upon the completion of every level.
The game features both Story and Survival modes. Weapons can be unlocked with Ka$h, the currency used in-game. A character is chosen at the start of each level, along with a choice of weapons. Levels are unlocked and weapons can be upgraded as the player progresses forward. The crosshair is aimed used a virtual d-pad.
The game has 28 Achievements that are awarded when certain criteria is fulfilled:
- A Golden Gun: Fully upgrade one weapon.
- They Lived Happily Ever After...: Complete Story Mode. Despite there being four levels, the player must only complete Papa's Palace of Pain and Ballistic Trauma, as Naked Terror and Jailhouse Judgment were added in later patches.
- Mutant Collector: Kill a female, a male and a fat mutant.
- Papa Was a Rolling Caesar: Complete Papa's Palace of Pain.
- Won't You Help Me Doctor Beat: Complete Ballistic Trauma.
- She's a Maneater: Complete Naked Terror.
- Don't Stop Me Now: Achieve a Combo x9. This is only possible if Combo Upgrade 2 has been purchased for 50,000 Ka$h.
- Weapon of Choice: Play an entire level using the same weapon.
- Bonus Collector: Collect one grenade box, medikit, and Ka$h item.
- Bloody Headache: Perform 666 headshots.
- Killing Spree!: Kill at least 5 mutants with one grenade.
- I Will Survive: Finish a level with only one health point left.
- My Broomstick: Buy a weapon.
- Armed to the Teeth: Fully upgrade all weapons.
- Quick Hand: Complete a level using only manual reload.
- Out of Stock: Buy every gadget.
- Who's the Boss!: Buy every weapon.
- Good Student: Achieve a rank S in every level.
- The Truth Is Out There: Discover a secret area.
- Untouchable: Finish a level without taking damage.
- I'm Rich: Earn 50,000 Ka$h.
- Richer than Rich: Earn 150,000 Ka$h.
- Shut Up and Take My Money!: Earn 300,000 Ka$h.
- I Want It All: Collect all collectibles within a level.
- Have a Life Save a Life: Save every civilian.
- The Right Stuff: Play at least one level with each character.
- How I Learned to Love Mutants: Complete the tutorial.
- Tap Tap Tap: Unlock the Frenzy Tap mode.
- Brutus's 29 counts of assault (17 aggravated and 12 sexual) are not mentioned in his introduction, unlike the console games.
- ↑ Oliver, Tristan (April 25, 2013). "Sega Releases House of the Dead: Overkill Variant for Mobile" (English). TSSZ News. Archived from the original on July 26, 2015.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Sarkar, Samit (January 1st, 2014). "House of the Dead: Overkill - The Lost Reels now free-to-play on iOS" (English). Polygon. “...The Lost Reels throws waves of zombies at the player in both Story and Survival modes. The story takes place in three different worlds, while the Survival mode goes on for as long as the player can stay alive. Users can play with tilt controls or virtual buttons, or unlock a "Frenzy Tap" control method. The Lost Reels also offers unlockable weapons and special abilities that can be upgraded with Ka$h, the in-game currency.”
- ↑ "[Update] Sega pulls After Burner, Jet Set Radio, Golden Axe and more from Android and iOS stores" (English). Pocket Gamer (May 22, 2015). “These dead apps are added to a pile of murdered Sega games that includes older versions of Football Manager, The House of the Dead: Overkill - The Lost Reels, Zaxxon Escape, and Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode II on iOS.”
- ↑ Craddock, David (May 14, 2013). "The House of the Dead: Overkill – The Lost Reels’ Review – When the Grindhouse Becomes a Grind" (English). toucharcade.com. “Lost Reels consists of three episodes broken up into five stages each. You choose a character, lock and load two guns, and unlock levels as you clear haunted houses and zombie-infested hospitals. By default, you aim your crosshair using a virtual d-pad.”
|The House of the Dead games|
|Main series||The House of the Dead (remake) · 2 · III · 4 (Special) · Scarlet Dawn|
|Spin-offs||Zombie Revenge · The Typing of the Dead (2 · Overkill) · The Pinball of the Dead · English of the Dead · The House of the Dead: Overkill (Extended Cut) · EX · Darts of the Dead · Scarlet Dawn (Battle Genesis · THE ATTRACTION)|
|Prototypes||The House of the Dead (arcade prototype · Sega Saturn prototype) · 2 (Original Sin prototype) · Scarlet Dawn (location test builds)|
|Compilations||2 & 3 Return|
|Mobile games||Mobile · Nightmare · Zombie Utsu: Flick of the Dead · Overkill: The Lost Reels|
|Non-HOD games||Vampire Night · Sega Golden Gun · Sonic and Sega All-Stars Racing|
|Developers||Sega · Namco · Forever Entertainment · MegaPixel Studio · TA Publishing|
|Staff||Takashi Oda · Benjamin Anseaume · Zbigniew Dębicki|