(Main series and Spin-offs)
The male tarantula slashed prey with his massive spiked legs, while the female could bite prey, trap them in webbing, and give birth to attacking offspring named Taran (タラン, Taran). The Lovers' weak point was the male tarantula's head.
- Main article: The House of the Dead 4
The Lovers were one of several creatures unleashed by the late Caleb Goldman, the financier of Dr. Curien's research, in a posthumous 2003 outbreak. Goldman sought using the creatures to counteract human overpopulation, thus protecting nature.
AMS agents James Taylor and Kate Green battled the outbreak underground. Although not yet aware of his involvement, they discovered Goldman's plan to launch nuclear missiles worldwide. The agents took a construction elevator to the surface, but The Lovers ambushed them and broke the elevator. James and Kate killed The Lovers, sending them falling down to their deaths in a crevice. However, in the battle, The Lovers broke the other elevator, forcing the agents to take a detour through the subway.
The House of the Dead 4
The Lovers are a conjoined pair of massive tarantulas. Like Judgment from The House of the Dead 2, they share a bond, as all harm to the male tarantula (which serves as the duo's weak point) is also inflicted on the female. Their exoskeleton is largely invulnerable, with the male using his legs to block gunfire.
The tarantulas pursue player(s) in a construction elevator, climbing the girders to attack. The female can produce a swarm of Tarans, baby spiders which latch on the screen for a bite attack and die in one shot.
While the male tarantula serves as the weak point, shooting the female tarantula's abdomen inflicts chip damage.
The Lovers make a cameo appearance in a mini-game for Loving Deads: The House of the Dead EX, involving using the foot petal to stomp spiders.
Both tarantulas forming the Lovers contribute different, yet equally dangerous attacks in combat: the male tarantula (the pair's weak point) guards itself and slashes with its giant talons, while the female snares the player(s) in webbing or produces a group of hostile Tarans (baby spiders). The fight is scripted, but each phase had to be ended to proceed to the next one.
- As James and Kate enter the construction elevator, they are trapped inside as one of The Lovers' talons appears. This triggers a Quick Time Event in which the player(s) must escape. If the player(s) fail to complete it, The Lovers will slash the player(s) and the phase is restarting until it is completed. James and Kate will leap to the other elevator as the fight begins.
- The camera points down through a hole in the middle of the lift. The Lovers climb upwards after the player(s). After three steps, they will attack on the fourth.
- The camera moves to the side of the lift and pans down, where The Lovers climb and attack like the last phase, but upside down.
- The Lovers grab the lift. The female tarantula produces a group of Tarans which emerge through the middle of the lift. Tarans wander aimlessly before latching onto the screen, biting after a brief second. They take only one shot each to die. After the group is killed, the next phase begins.
- The Lovers climb above the lift as it stops. The female tarantula traps the player(s) in webbing. Complete the Quick Time Event to avoid taking damage. After this attack, The Lovers will stand in place before attacking, requiring more shots to end the phase.
- The Lovers fell down in front of the player(s). The male tarantula moves its talons back and forth, blocking gunfire. After a few seconds, he will raise the talons and slash the player(s). As the talons are invulnerable to gunfire, precise shooting is required to shoot the male tarantula only when it is visible.
- The Lovers perform the prior phase once again and will do so until they are killed.
- For the final two phases, it is recommended to shoot only when the male tarantula is exposed, reloading when he is otherwise protected by his talons.
- The Lovers' type number (6805) is similar to another spider-type boss, Hermit (6803).
- The Lovers make a cameo appearance in the Curien Mansion-themed Graveyard Gig track in Sonic and All-Stars Racing Transformed. They releasing their offspring into the track as obstacles for the racers to avoid.
- Interestingly, the female only has four legs when spiders generally have eight.
- Considering the female body is mostly invincible whereas the tiny male body on top is its weak point, it can be implied the male is the actual spider and the "female" is most likely a guise or host.
- PlayStation®3: THE HOUSE OF THE DEAD 4 Official Website (Japanese). SEGA. Archived from the original on June 20, 2012. Retrieved on May 21, 2020. “「CHAPTER 2 LOST 〜迷走」のボス。 巨大な雌雄のクモが組み合わされたクリーチャー。 雌グモからは大量の子グモが放たれる。”
|The House of the Dead||Chariot • Hangedman • Hermit • Magician|
|2||Judgment • Hierophant • Tower • Strength • Magician • Emperor|
|III||Death • Fool • Sun • Wheel of Fate|
|4 / 4 Special||Justice (4 and 4 Special) • The Lovers • The Empress • Temperance • The Star • The World • Magician (4 Special only)|
|Scarlet Dawn||Chariot • Hangedman • High Priestess • Moon|
|Overkill / Extended Cut||Jasper • Coco and Sindy (Extended Cut only) • Screamer • Nigel and Sebastian • Meat Katie (Extended Cut only) • Crawler • Lobber • Brutus • Mother|
|Zombie Revenge||UDS-03 • Warm Hedlin & Shell Hedlin • UDS-05 • UDS-02 • UDS-07 ("Nikelle") • UDS-06B • UDS-TP II 00 & UDS-TP II 01 • UDS-03 ("Neclien") • UDS-04C • ZED • Black Magician Type 01|
|Vampire Night||Bathe'lemy • Guillaume • Rauoul • Diane • Auguste|
|Sega Golden Gun||Zhang Jiao • Gao Qiu • Da Ji • Dark Emperor|