(Main series and Spin-offs)
Come... You must prove yourself in a test of strength... This was Goldman's parting wish.
Type-0001, codenamed "The Star" (スター, Sutā), was a levitating sword-wielding humanoid. He[note 1] is the fifth boss of The House of the Dead 4, as well as the second boss of the spin-off Loving Deads: The House of the Dead EX.
Created by Caleb Goldman to serve in a posthumous 2003 incident, The Star was capable of flight and projectile attacks like Dr. Curien's Magician. His weak point was his scarred chest, though when wounded his head became vulnerable as well.
- 1 History
- 2 Appearances
- 3 Gameplay
- 4 Trivia
- 5 Gallery
- 6 Notes
- Main article: The House of the Dead 4
The Star was one of several creatures unleashed by the late Caleb Goldman, the financier of Dr. Curien's research, in a posthumous 2003 outbreak. Goldman sought using the creatures to counteract human overpopulation, thus protecting nature.
AMS agents James Taylor and Kate Green investigated the outbreak. Upon learning of Goldman's responsibility, as well as his plan to launch nuclear missiles worldwide, they drove to his headquarters. The Star met them in the foyer of the building, challenging them to a "test of strength", per Goldman's "parting wish". In the end, he was defeated. Upon defeat, The Star exploded, injuring James in the process.
The House of the Dead 4
The Star is a pale, blank-eyed humanoid dressed in a red trench coat. He dual wields butterfly swords and features a large scar on his chest. During the battle, he flies around the foyer of Goldman Building[sic] in a purple aura.
His attacks initially involve charging his swords with energy, before either slashing the player(s) (in front or from above) or launching a volley of energy projectiles. At low health, he will attempt to spin violently into player(s) like a tornado.
Initially, The Star's sole weak point is his chest scar. As the fight continues, however, his hood is destroyed and exposes his head for secondary weak point.
Loving Deads: The House of the Dead EX
The Star also appears in Loving Deads: The House of the Dead EX. In this comical spin-off, The Star is portrayed as a French-speaking, narcissistic Stage Actor. Dr. Curien sent him to capture Zobio and Zobiko, with whom he was romantically attracted to. He ambushes them in a theater, attacking with bats and mechanical claws. After his defeat, The Star apologized to Zobiko, only to be met with a slap in the face.
He continued following the pair until Dr. Curien's final creation, The World, ambushed them in a trainyard. During their battle, The Star tried to steal Zobiko away, but was foiled by Zobio. As the train cart carrying Zobio and Zobiko fell from the sky having been carried off by a newly-transformed The World, The Star rescued them both by holding onto the train while they battled The World.
After The World's defeat, it set itself to self-destruct, destroying everything nearby. The Star once again saved both Zobio and Zobiko from the explosion, only reporting to Dr. Curien about their apparent demise, leaving the two with their newfound freedom.
As the guardian of The World, The Star takes great measures to ensure the successful defeat of his opponents. His attacks are fast and various, making for a very challenging pre-final boss fight. His attacks often emulate the nature of his predecessor, Magician, so those who are familiar with the latter's battle phases may have an easier time successfully defeating The Star.
However, unlike Magician, The Star can be spontaneous, so there is little room for error.
Depends on how many player(s) and how good the player(s) fight The Star, he will randomly attack the player(s) using one of these strategies:
- Attack #1: The Star will rise up towards the ceiling and begin swiftly attacking by flying around the player(s) and swooping in for stabs with his butterfly swords.
- Attack #2: Similar to the previous attack, except that The Star do that from above the player(s).
- Attack #3: The Star will summon energy beams to protect himself. He can create around eight of it.
If The Star lose his hood, it will expose his bald head. This will served as his secondary weak point. He will do attack with his third form, as well as one additional form, which is spinning around frantically in front of the player(s). However, while doing so, he is exposing his head, which as mentioned, served as his secondary weak point. He will do these attacks until he is killed.
- The Star's attacks are always prompts, requiring the player(s) to always be aware and have correct aim at all times. The Star will sometimes leave himself invulnerable after launching projectiles or when flying around to disorient the player(s), so utilize this time as often as possible to inflict damage.
- The Star's appearance, location, type number, and attacks indicate that he is designed as a successor to Magician.
- In The House of the Dead 4, the PDA marks his head as "No Damage?". He is the only boss in the game that has a question mark on a "no damage" body part, which become important as it later served as his secondary weak point.
- His type number is 0001, making him very similar to Magician and Wheel of Fate (who are Type-0 and Type-0000, respectively), in that they're all humanoid creatures with unique powers.
- The Star, along with Judgment's Zeal, are the only bosses to address Goldman by his name.
- In both The House of the Dead 4's Arcade and PlayStation 3 port, there is a bug in which The Star's damage grunts repeatedly play during the Stage Result screen if the player(s) choose to skip his death's moment.
The House of the Dead 4
Loving Deads: The House of the Dead EX
- The Star has a distinct male physique and voice. In addition, the spin-off Loving Deads: The House of the Dead EX depicts him as male, suggesting that this was the original intention of SEGA AM1 when developing The House of the Dead 4.
|The House of the Dead||Chariot • Hangedman • Hermit • Magician|
|2||Judgment • Hierophant • Tower • Strength • Magician • Emperor|
|III||Death • Fool • Sun • Wheel of Fate|
|4 / 4 Special||Justice (4 and 4 Special) • The Lovers • The Empress • Temperance • The Star • The World • Magician (4 Special only)|
|Scarlet Dawn||Chariot • Hangedman • High Priestess • Moon|
|Overkill / Extended Cut||Jasper • Coco and Sindy (Extended Cut only) • Screamer • Nigel and Sebastian • Meat Katie (Extended Cut only) • Crawler • Lobber • Brutus • Mother|
|Zombie Revenge||UDS-03 • Warm Hedlin & Shell Hedlin • UDS-05 • UDS-02 • UDS-07 ("Nikelle") • UDS-06B • UDS-TP II 00 & UDS-TP II 01 • UDS-03 ("Neclien") • UDS-04C • ZED • Black Magician Type 01|
|Vampire Night||Bathe'lemy • Guillaume • Rauoul • Diane • Auguste|
|Sega Golden Gun||Zhang Jiao • Gao Qiu • Da Ji • Dark Emperor|