(Main series and Spin-offs)
I am the ultimate being... There is no hope... My hammer of death shall rain down upon you!
The World was created by Caleb Goldman to succeed Emperor, awakening 3 years after both were deceased. Wielding ice projectiles, hatchets, and ice dragons, he could grow into new and stronger forms upon defeat. His weak point was his glowing-red heart.
- Main article: The House of the Dead 4
The World was created by Caleb Goldman, the financier of the late Dr. Curien's research. To protect nature from humanity, Goldman developed creatures with Curien's research to slaughter populations. He staged a 2000 outbreak in a large unnamed city, with a creature named Emperor intended to rule over mankind; its successor, the World, grew beneath the courtyard of Goldman's headquarters.
In 2003, years after Emperor's defeat and Goldman's suicide, the latter posthumously staged another outbreak. In the opening of "Pandora's Box", the World awoke to battle investigating AMS agents James Taylor and Kate Green. Upon realizing that the World never stopped growing, James set his AMS PDA to self-destruct, killing himself in the resulting explosion to destroy the creature.
The World is a massive humanoid with dragonfly-like wings and eyes. Frozen up to his waist, the creature uses his hands for support. His entire body (with the exception of his heart) is invulnerable to gunfire.
Every time he is seemingly defeated, the World grows into a seemingly endless line of stronger forms. In his second form, the creature's posture is upright and his wings become tendrils. His attacks are more aggressive.
In his third form, the World molts his skin and emerges as a levitating full-bodied creature. This form is only battled in Loving Deads: The House of the Dead EX. After pursuing players atop a train, the World develops fiery wings and horns. He uses flames and crystals as projectile attacks.
The World is a two-stage fight, with each stage ending after the creature's health bar is depleted. In both stages, the World is an immobile boss whose weak point -- his heart-- is always exposed to gunfire. The creature will perform random attack phases until he is at low health, at which point he will repeatedly perform a final aerial-based attack. The stages increase in difficulty: in the first stage, the player can escape most of the World's attacks by shaking the gun; in the second stage, all of the creature's attacks are inescapable in this manner and are more difficult to stop.
- The World's first stage includes several ice-based attacks:
- Attack 1: With a glowing fist, the World sends a several ice pillars after the player. Shooting the pillars in time stops the attack; failure to do so requires a successful gun shake sequence in order to avoid damage.
- Attack 2: Similar to the previous attack, except that the World sends two ice pillars from both fists. Shooting the pillars enough to deplete the "cancel" gauge stops the attack; failure to do so requires a successful gun shake sequence in order to avoid damage.
- Attack 3: A giant ax made out of ice materializes in the World's hands; the ax must be destroyed before the World uses it to damage the players.
- Final attack: With about 60% of its health lost, the World sends four ice projectiles into the sky. The projectiles will spin around before combining to form a massive projectile, which will drop on the players for damage. The World will continue this attack until the last of his health bar is empty.
- The World's second stage consists of various attacks utilizing ice dragons. The ice dragons must shot repeatedly in the heads in order to destroy them.
- Attack 1: With a glowing fist, the World sends an ice dragon which flies in a spiral towards players for a bite.
- Attack 2: The World sends two ice dragons past the player; the camera turns around as the dragons fly back to deliver a bite attack.
- Attack 3: The World summons up to six ice dragons to fly directly at the player, one at a time, alternating left and right. He also covers his weak point with his arms.
- Final attack: At low health, the World creates an ice dragon which flies upward and ultimately down upon players in a spiral motion.
- With good timing and accurate aim, it is possible to damage the World with grenades.
- Although the player can simply shake out of the World's grab-based attacks in the first stage, it is still beneficial to stop them because this causes the creature to recoil, thus allowing the player to inflict more damage.
- Unlike previous bosses in The House of the Dead 4, the World can only be damaged through his weak point (rather than stopping boss phases). Keep this in mind while battling the creature.
- The World's type number is also a Greek letter similar to that of Emperor, as they were both creatures that Goldman intended to rule over the planet.
- It is unknown how many forms the World could morph his body into.
- The design of the World's first two forms partially resembles Dante's depiction of Lucifer, in which he is submerged up to his waist in the frozen ice lake of Cocytus. It is unknown whether this design choice was intentional or not.
|The House of the Dead||Chariot • Hangedman • Hermit • Magician|
|2||Judgment • Hierophant • Tower • Strength • Magician • Emperor|
|III||Death • Fool • Sun • Wheel of Fate|
|4 / 4 Special||Justice (4 and 4 Special) • The Lovers • The Empress • Temperance • The Star • The World • Magician (4 Special only)|
|Scarlet Dawn||Chariot • Hangedman • High Priestess • Moon|
|Overkill / Extended Cut||Jasper • Coco and Sindy (Extended Cut only) • Screamer • Nigel and Sebastian • Meat Katie (Extended Cut only) • Crawler • Lobber • Brutus • Mother|
|Zombie Revenge||UDS-03 • Warm Hedlin & Shell Hedlin • UDS-05 • UDS-02 • UDS-07 ("Nikelle") • UDS-06B • UDS-TP II 00 & UDS-TP II 01 • UDS-03 ("Neclien") • UDS-04C • ZED • Black Magician Type 01|
|Vampire Night||Bathe'lemy • Guillaume • Rauoul • Diane • Auguste|